The Shining Utopia

The Champion's Glory Team (XY/ORAS Almost Any Ability, peaked #1 prior to the Protean ban)

Poll

What is the best Rate My Team ever?

[ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    100% [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 2
    Immanent God LANCE
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

The Champion's Glory Team (XY/ORAS Almost Any Ability, peaked #1 prior to the Protean ban)

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 26 May - 11:40

Ever since the fateful day when Pokémon Red and Green were released in 1995, Game Freak, and by extension, the world of Pokémon, has challenged the pride of every Pokémon trainer with a grand and awe-inspiring goal: Pokémon Mastery. Despite the unimaginably vast number of Pokémon trainers throughout space and time who have attempted to reach this state, those who have succeeded are few and far between. This has raised a very important question among Pokémon trainers, that being the method by which one becomes a Pokémon Master.

Depending on one's point of view and how one personally defines a Pokémon Master, innumerable qualities of a person are often cited as being requirements for achieving Pokémon Mastery: Dilligence, patience, creativity, Pokémon training, kindness, respect, sportsmanship, ruthlessness, logical thinking, experience, knowledge, weighing of risk and reward, passion, love of Pokémon, competitiveness, willingness to copy and follow the footsteps of past successful Pokémon trainers, being studious of Smogon's articles and Pokémon analyses... you name it.

...Of course, the purpose of this thread is hardly to start a debate or discussion regarding the nature of Pokémon Mastery, the method of achieving it, or which of the previously-mentioned points of view regarding the methods of becoming a Pokémon Master are correct or incorrect. Instead, attention shall be drawn towards one characteristic of a Pokémon trainer which is almost universally considered to be a necessary quality in someone who possesses the potential to become a Pokémon Master:

Dedication.

It should be of no surprise to anyone that all the Pokémon trainers in this world who can rightfully call themselves Pokémon Masters are extremely dedicated to the game of Pokémon. And I, the legendary Great Pokémon Master, am of course, no exception. As a trainer who has been battling competitively since December 2003, achieved tremendous win-loss records on four different Pokémon NetBattle servers of the past in Generation II, won countless tournaments, and above all, reached #1 on thirty six different ladders across ten different servers and fourteen different metagames throughout Pokémon Online, Pokémon Showdown! and PokeBattle between Generation V and Generation VI, my unparalleled dedication to Pokémon is clear. However, such clarity is only magnified by the number of unique creations and inventions I have made in numerous different metagames across the generations. Such creations and inventions of mine have taken the form of Pokémon movesets, but far more impressively, they have also taken the form of entire high-quality teams of Pokémon, formed through my very own creativity and extensive knowledge of numerous Pokémon metagames. And of course, teams of my own that I have judged to be of exceptionally high quality are forever immortalized in the form that this very thread exists in: A Rate My Team thread. For the benefit of those who have, for whatever reason, missed any of the following crucial moments in the history of competitive Pokémon, click on any of the images below in order to be redirected towards the correspondingly-represented masterpiece of the past:

The above Rate My Team threads were created in the very periods of time in history in which the metagames to which they were dedicated were most active and relevant. However, Pokémon metagames are, more often than not, unstable. As it was the case with Probability-Defying Perfection, In Luck We Trust and Mare Tranquillitatis, any Pokémon team can be rendered completely obsolete upon sudden drastic changes to the metagames to which they are dedicated. As a result of this very unfortunate fact, countless masterpieces among Pokémon teams have been left behind and vanished into the winds of time as rules are suddenly implemented into their metagame in such a way that those teams are no longer legal in that metagame, or are otherwise no longer effective. Probability-Defying Perfection, In Luck We Trust and Mare Tranquillitatis were fortunate enough to have their glory firmly ingrained into competitive Pokémon history during the times of their relevance, but not every team has been blessed with such a fate. However, among the teams that missed the aforementioned fortune are those that managed to adapt to the drastic changes in the metagame for which they are made, and therefore still remain viable after undergoing minor changes to their structure, even if such renders them not as effective as before. And one of such teams is the very former masterpiece to which this thread is dedicated.

The idea of making a Rate My Team thread for this team first originated from my witnessing of the immortalization of many no longer relevant or usable Other Metagames teams in this thread. Beholding such, I developed a sudden dream of including within the list of teams in that thread's opening post my favorite and one of my greatest teams ever for any Other Metagame. Named "The Champion's Glory Team", this team was made for the XY Almost Any Ability metagame, and dominated that metagame up until the point when the Ability Protean was abruptly banned. Even after the aforementioned event, the team was still formidable after I made some modifications to it in order to make it remain legally usable in the Almost Any Ability metagame. However, upon witnessing people discussing the decision to implement a clause to the current Almost Any Ability metagame that prevents this team from being used even in its currently-modified state, my resolve to make a Rate My Team thread for this team before even its most current version becomes unusable was set. Since the current version of The Champion's Glory Team  is not anywhere near as effective as prior to the Protean ban, I decided to make this thread in a way such that it is predominately in tribute to the team the way it was before the Protean ban. However, to allow this Rate My Team thread to serve a practical use for the viewers other than for the purpose of standing as a monument to a past relic, at least up until the 2 Ability Clause is implemented in Almost Any Ability (if it happens anyway), I will present the post-Protean ban version of this team for the current Almost Any Ability metagame as well.

For me to go to the efforts of not merely making a Rate My Team thread, but rather, to make a thread for a team whose glory days were back when the Almost Any Ability metagame was very different from the way it is today, and focusing the thread mostly on that version of the team, it is obvious that the competitive success embodied by The Champion's Glory Team in its prime was undeniable. However, while a team of mine being amazingly successful in its metagame is more than enough of a reason for me to create a Rate My Team thread for it, that alone hardly justifies making such a thread retroactively, at a time when the status of the metagame at the time when the team was usable is no longer relevant. Why would I go to such lengths in order to create a shrine for this long-outdated team then?

As a Pokémon fan, my appreciation of Game Freak's work is not only limited to the competitive aspect of Pokémon, as I take pride too in my ability to appreciate Pokémon on an aesthetic level. In addition to being an extremely powerful and practical team in its own metagame, The Champion's Glory Team also happens to contain some of my absolute favorite Pokémon ever. And in fact, I must say that flavor-wise, The Champion's Glory Team may be my single favorite competitively viable team I have ever made for any metagame in an extremely long time - this team contains my absolute favorite Pokémon ever as well as what I personally consider my signature Pokémon throughout the generations, Dragonite; my second favorite Pokémon ever, Hydreigon; Arcanine and Braviary, two strong and awe-inspiring Pokémon whose strength and majestic nature I have always admired; as well as another cool-looking Pokémon in Lucario. Hydreigon, Arcanine and Braviary are three Pokémon in this team that are notable in that I have made very limited (inexistent in Braviary's case) competitive use of them for a very long time despite how much I like them aesthetically. And additionally, I have always, for a very long time, wanted to create a team in some metagame that contains both Dragonite and Hydreigon, as in my mind, these two winged Dragon-type Pokémon are like polar opposites of each other, due to their identical base stat total, both of their statuses as pseudo-legendary Pokémon as well as third-stage evolutions that do not reach their final form until a ridiculously high level, the former's physically-offensive nature in contrast with the latter's specially-offensive nature, the former's gentle-looking appearance in contrast with the latter's ferocious-looking appearance, as well as the way the former can, in some ways, be seen as being associated with light, in contrast with the latter which is obviously associated with darkness. As such, ever since the day Hydreigon was revealed, I have always found the idea of a single Pokémon team containing both Dragonite and Hydreigon to be incredibly awesome, to the point where I have even done entire playthroughs of some Generation V Pokémon games with a team containing these two Pokémon. And while I have made numerous teams in the past, mostly for the BW1 DW OU metagame and the early XY OU metagame that contain both of these Pokémon, none of them saw success in their respective metagame anywhere even remotely close to that seen by The Champion's Glory Team in the pre-Protean ban XY Almost Any Ability metagame.

Furthermore, I also see something very grand, glorious, magnificent, and regal about the members of this team, which may have something to do with the fact that with the exception of Deoxys-S, which is a legendary Pokémon anyway, every single Pokémon in this team has, at some point in time, been used by an in-game Pokémon League Champion, and Dragonite, Hydreigon and Arcanine have also all notably been used by Lance, my favorite human character ever in the Pokémon franchise.

The Champion's Glory Team is also probably the single most hyper-offensive team I have ever made in any Pokémon metagame, ever, further contributing to its notability among teams of my creation, as well as how much I like this team. Very few other teams I have created in the past, and certainly not a single team of mine to which I have created a Rate My Team thread in the past even comes close to matching the unbelievably fast-paced, strategic sacrifice and momentum-based nature of The Champion's Glory Team. As such, despite the amazing success this team has achieved based on the number of wins and losses it has attained as well as my achievements using this team on the ladder, do not expect success with this team if you define success as winning battles 6-0 or otherwise by a very large margin. The Champion's Glory Team was a team that granted consistent victory, but with almost all of which being in extremely close battles. But while I certainly do not deny the beauty I see in driving the opponent to the edge of despair with a stall team at the end of whose long battle the opponent cannot even faint one Pokémon, far more thrilling to me is the experience of feeling my blood rushing amidst a fast-paced and strategic war of sacrifices and momentum, at the end of which I, by the inch of a hair, emerge victorious behind the back of my final remaining and heavily-injured Pokémon.

Having created such an amazingly strong team with many of my favorite Pokémon in it, especially given how rare it is for me to find an opportunity to actually use them in a serious team, and having finally fulfilled my dream of creating a competitively-viable team that also happens to include both Dragonite and Hydreigon in it, I felt that The Champion's Glory Team's existence was way too special to simply be allowed to be buried beneath the sands of history. As such, at long last, I will present this in some sense or form still usable relic of the past for the entire world of competitive Pokémon to see:

The team at a glance:

Team building process:

Upon being first introduced to the Almost Any Ability metagame by [URL='http://www.smogon.com/forums/members/adrian-marin.81508/']Adrian Marin[/URL], I was informed of the power of Protean Dragonite, whose extremely powerful Extreme Speed I was particularly drawn to. As Dragonite has always been my favorite Pokémon, I decided to start building my Almost Any Ability team from it.

With its awesome and devastating coverage, Life Orb Dragonite was undeniably a top-notch Protean user, capable of performing not only the role of wall-breaking, as a Protean Pokémon's primary purpose should be, but it also served as an excellent revenge-killer thanks to its exceedingly powerful Same Type Attack Bonus and Life Orb-boosted Extreme Speed. Witnessing this Pokémon's terrifying power, I thought to myself, why not add another similar Pokémon to the team?

And thus Protean Life Orb Arcanine became the second member of the team, wielding devastating coverage in Close Combat, Flare Blitz and Wild Charge, while also sharing Dragonite's revenge-killing abilities with Extreme Speed, though it is not as strong. I thought that having two Protean Life Orb Extreme Speed users in the team was good since multiple priority abusers in the same team complement each other offensively - for example, one priority user can weaken a fast opposing threat with its priority move before fainting, and then allowing the second priority user to come in to revenge-kill the opponent's Pokémon, leading to a hyper-offensive team that does not require any hard-counters to the opponent's Pokémon to function effectively, and instead, does its job of checking opposing threats with a massive amount of strong priority moves.

As I knew nothing about the Almost Any Ability metagame back then, I decided to continue building my first team through the approach that I have always traditionally utilized when getting into any metagame I've been unfamiliar with: Maximizing the team's firepower. Given the inherent nature of the Almost Any Ability metagame, it didn't take long before the idea of an Eruption-wielding Fire-type Pokémon with Drought or a Water Spout-wielding Water-type Pokémon with Drizzle occurred to me. As I personally know Fire to be an offensive type superior to Water, my next move was to add a Choice Scarf Drought Typhlosion to the team, abusing its ability to outrun many Pokémon while utterly destroying them with its Sun-boosted Eruption.

At this point, I saw that every member of the team was weak to Stealth Rock, and this entry hazard was also particularly detrimental to Typhlosion, since it significantly reduces the power of its Eruption with every switch-in. In response, I had to add a Defog, Magic Bounce or Rapid Spin user to my team. As I have personally always loved the utility provided by a Prankster Thunder Wave user in many previous metagames, I decided to make my Defog user a Prankster Mew, which also simultaneously supported the team with Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp and Taunt.

A Stealth Rock user is necessary for pretty much every decent team in any metagame, and my team was missing one. And seeing as half of my team was weak to Rock-type attacks, I decided to go for a Pokémon that covers this weakness of the team. Because my team did not have a Mega Evolution yet, combined with the fact that I was still under the "maximize my team's firepower" mindset at the time, I decided to make my Stealth Rock user a Garchompite-holding Sand Stream Garchomp, with Garchomp's Ability summoning a sandstorm, before its Sand Force-possessing Mega Evolution takes advantage of this weather effect to spread devastation with its insanely powerful Earthquake and Stone Edge attacks.

At this point, I could not think of anything that my team may have been missing, so with my dream of creating a competitively-viable team featuring both Dragonite and Hydreigon in mind, as well as knowing that two of Hydreigon's Same Type Attack Bonus moves - Dark Pulse and Dragon Pulse have their power boosted by Mega Launcher, I simply decided to add a Mega Launcher Hydreigon as my team's final member.

After battling a few times with this team, I quickly realized, from my experience battling against others, the power and value of Choice Band Gale Wings Staraptor. Although I, if only temporarily shattered my own dream of building a competitively-viable team featuring both Dragonite and Hydreigon, the practicality and optimization of my team comes first, so I decided to replace the least useful member of my team, Hydreigon, with a Choice Band Gale Wings Staraptor.

I soon realized that Flash Fire Skarmory, though beatable, was very difficult to handle with most of my team, and so I made the decision to replace my Garchomp with a Blastoisinite-holding Drizzle Blastoise, having it be the team's countermeasure to entry hazards while replacing Mew's Defog with Stealth Rock. If it is kept healthy enough, this Blastoise could even be used as a powerful weapon, with its Drizzle summoning a torrential downpour, before it Mega Evolves into Mega Blastoise, at which point it can fire off a devastating rain-boosted Water Spout off its incredible 135 base Special Attack. I also gave Mew a Focus Sash in order to make it a suicide lead now.

Given the prevalence of Flash Fire Pokémon in a metagame, I realized that Typhlosion was not pulling its weight, especially considering how it locked itself into a single move with Choice Scarf, which just wasn't worth it when many Pokémon in the metagame possessed an Ability that made them immune to Typhlosion's most powerful moves. By that point in time, I had already, through my experience using Dragonite and Arcanine so far, come to realize just how incredibly good Protean Life Orb Extreme Speed users are, due to the fact that they are amazing wall-breakers and revenge-killers all in one - receiving Same Type Attack Bonus and a Life Orb boost for any move is simply a godsend and makes any already-powerful Pokémon pretty much unwallable, while receiving such for Extreme Speed allows a Pokémon with high Attack to destroy almost any fast Pokémon that isn't resistant or immune to the move in two hits, ensuring that even if the opponent's fast Pokémon doesn't faint from the Extreme Speed and ends up knocking out the Extreme Speed user, a different Protean Life Orb Extreme Speed user in the team can simply come in and finish the job. Despite the fact that my team already had two of such Pokémon, I thought even adding a third one to the team would not hurt. And so in Typhlosion's place, I decided to add a Protean Life Orb Lucario to my team, being surprised at the fact that I had, for some reasons, failed to consider using this Pokémon before the Arcanine in my team, given the Aura Pokémon's access to Swords Dance, granting it the potential to sweep entire teams, especially with its Same Type Attack Bonus Extreme Speed, after only one boost.

I achieved decent success for a good number of battles with this team, but also noticed how often my Staraptor's life was being cut short through a combination of being hit by the Extreme Speed of opposing Pokémon, its own Brave Bird recoil, and sometimes even Stealth Rock damage. Thinking about such, an idea soon struck me: Three of the biggest reasons why Pokémon trainers have generally preferred Staraptor over Braviary in standard metagames is because of the former's superior Abilities, higher Speed, and access to Close Combat, a move that is, in most cases, superior to Braviary's Fighting-type move, Superpower. However, for a Gale Wings Pokémon in the Almost Any Ability metagame, Staraptor's superior Abilities to Braviary in standard metagames is completely irrelevant, while Braviary's inferior Speed hardly mattered in this metagame except when facing an opposing Gale Wings Pokémon, since a Choice Band Gale Wings Pokémon in the Almost Any Ability metagame, from my experience, pretty much never uses any move besides Brave Bird, a move which Gale Wings grants +1 priority anyway. And considering the fact that a Gale Wings Pokémon should optimally invest its EVs into HP and Attack, rather than Attack and Speed as Staraptor and Braviary would more likely want to do in a standard metagame, Staraptor's superior Speed mattered even less. Finally, what would normally be Staraptor's third point of superiority over Braviary, that being the two Normal/Flying-type Pokémon's Fighting type moves, was, by my judgment, completely trivial for a Choice Band Gale Wings Pokémon in the Almost Any Ability metagame, not just because such a Pokémon hardly uses any move besides Brave Bird anyway, but also because if they ever have a need to use their Fighting-type move, which is only to hit a Rock or Steel-type Pokémon anyway, then they are almost guaranteed to need to switch on the next turn anyway due to being locked into such a move with Choice Band, rendering the Attack drop of Braviary's Superpower almost completely irrelevant.

On the other hand, Braviary, compared to Staraptor, possesses a slightly higher Attack stat, superior Defense and Special Defense, and by far most importantly, a higher HP stat, enabling it to not only tank Extreme Speeds noticeably more comfortably, but also lose less percentage of its health with each Brave Bird. With all of this in mind, I decided to replace Staraptor with Braviary, a change that I also enjoyed from an aesthetic perspective, since there is something very regal and admirable about Braviary which makes me really like this Pokémon.

Somewhere around this time, I also replaced my Mew's Prankster Ability with Teravolt, while replacing its Thunder Wave with Explosion, since I was tired of my Mew's Stealth Rock and Taunt being reflected by Magic Bounce Pokémon, while Thunder Wave was not very helpful to my team anyway as four of its members had access to priority. With Explosion, my Mew's effectiveness as a suicide lead was solidified even more.

After a while, I realized that my team was weak to an extremely common, dominant and deadly threat in the metagame, Tough Claws Bisharp, due to its resistance to all four priority moves in my team, combined with the fact that Lucario is the only Pokémon in my team that possesses a natural resistance to the Sword Blade Pokémon's thunderous Sucker Punch attack, and even then it can lose its resistance thanks to Protean. Seeing as how devastating Tough Claws Bisharp could be to my team, especially after a Swords Dance if it manages to get such a boost after Lucario has fainted, I knew immediately that my team needed a Pokémon that can check Bisharp. I decided to replace Blastoise with a Gyaradosite-holding Magic Bounce Gyarados, using Gyarados's Magic Bounce Ability as the team's new primary countermeasure to entry hazards, although I simultaneously replaced Mew's Will-O-Wisp with Defog as well, since Magic Bounce as a countermeasure to entry hazards cannot be completely depended on in a metagame where any entry hazard user may have Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt. Aside from having amazing utility thanks to Magic Bounce, my Gyarados could also, at any time, Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados to serve as an excellent Bisharp check thanks to its Water/Dark typing, or hit harder/sweep teams more effectively thanks to its higher Attack stat and Mold Breaker.

At this point, I felt that my team was pretty much perfect from a competitive point of view, so I decided to think of a name for it. Seeing as how this team contained many of my favorite Pokémon that also happened to strongly resemble a team I'd imagine myself to have if I were to insert myself into a Pokémon fanfiction, combined with the fact that literally every single Pokémon in this team except for Mew, which is considered since Generation I to be one of the rarest legendary Pokémon anyway, has been used by an in-game Pokémon League Champion before, and how most members of this team, especially Dragonite of course, are known for possessing a very high Attack stat (for some complex childhood and nostalgia-related reasons, Attack is the single stat in Pokémon in whose excellence I admire the most), I knew that this team needed a badass and iconic name suitable for a trainer of my caliber. As I could literally imagine myself sitting on a grand and awe-inspiring throne on one end of an elegantly-decorated golden-walled Pokémon League Champion's room, awaiting challengers while having mightily majestic beasts such as Braviary, Gyarados, Arcanine and Dragonite by my side, I decided to name my team The Champion's Glory Team. Unlike the case with many other excellent teams I have made in the past, I also made the decision to not give any of the members of this team nicknames, as I wanted to, with this team, achieve an effect similar to how in-game Pokémon trainers never give their Pokémon nicknames. Additionally, I simply did not want The Champion's Glory Team or any of the Pokémon contained in it to be associated with anything else besides Pokémon - be it solar deities, Bleach Zanpakutou, Islamic concepts, lunar deities, Legend of Zelda deities, or any other random names. Instead, I just wanted every member of this team to be represented purely as the species of Pokémon that it is, without adding anything fancy to any of them, in order to maximize the emphasis that The Champion's Glory Team is a team of six awesome and strong Pokémon, fitting for a Champion such as myself.

However, my team's evolution did not stop here. Because of how physically-oriented my team was, as alluded to in the previous paragraph, it had trouble against Poison Heal Diancie after it attained even a few Defense boosts with Diamond Storm, which was easy if it came into Mew, due to the New Species Pokémon's inability to threaten it at all. As a solution to that problem, I needed a Pokémon capable of knocking out Diancie very quickly with a special attack. As every other Pokémon in my team was pretty much irreplaceable at this point, especially if its replacement was to be a special attacker capable of hitting Diancie hard, my best move at this point was to replace Gyarados with, to my delight, the very Pokémon whose inclusion in this team would fulfil a great dream of mine... a Pokémon which was in the earliest version of this team only to be replaced very shortly afterward: Hydreigon, now possessing the Magic Bounce Ability, wielding a Life Orb, and being armed with a powerful Flash Cannon for the purpose of sniping down Diancie. Although even a Modest Life Orb Flash Cannon from the dark hydra was not enough to take down some Diancie in a single shot, it nonetheless weakened the Jewel Pokémon enough to enable it to be easily picked off by a teammate anyway. With its Dark typing, the team's ability to tank Bisharp's Sucker Punch was not lost with Mega Gyarados's replacement, and although Hydreigon does not resist Iron Head like Mega Gyarados does, I figured that this ultimately was not very important as Hydreigon was faster than Bisharp and did not need to switch in anyway. And needless to say, Magic Bounce allowed Hydreigon to contribute greatly to the team by reflecting entry hazards and status effects, especially considering how little people generally expect the Dark/Dragon-type Pokémon to possess this Ability.

At this time, I replaced Mew, its Teravolt Ability and its Explosion technique with Aerodactyl, Mold Breaker and Rock Slide respectively, as I judged that Aerodactyl's blazing 130 base Speed was more valuable than Mew's access to Explosion, the main reason being because prior to Mew's replacement, Braviary was the only member of the team capable of hitting Gengar before Gengar hits it, which I thought was not good enough and made the team somewhat weak to the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon, especially with its devastating Life Orb and Sheer Force-boosted attacks. I know that Aerodactyl will most likely have fainted before the opponent sends out their Gengar, but I thought it was worth it anyway, considering The Champion's Glory Team's suicide lead can sometimes survive for longer during the match, due to the need for it to be switched out to Hydreigon in anticipation of a Prankster Pokémon of the opponent's setting up an entry hazard. And as for Aerodactyl's Ability, I just felt that Mold Breaker thematically suits the Fossil Pokémon more than Teravolt, or Turboblaze for that matter. Such a move was aesthetically to my delight once again, as I found it cool that half the team consisted of dragons now (in addition to Arcanine, a qilin-inspired Pokémon, which therefore also possesses some draconic qualities).

The reason why Aerodactyl was my initial choice of Pokémon when I needed a suicide lead faster than Gengar was because it could learn both Defog and Stealth Rock, just like Mew. However, I eventually realized that with my suicide lead's Taunt combined with my Hydreigon's Magic Bounce, Defog hardly needed to be used in this team, since my suicide lead could basically Taunt any Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt entry hazard user since a message gives away the Abilities possessed by such Pokémon, while any potential entry hazard user which I suspect may be possessing the Prankster Ability can have their hazard setup attempts be easily thwarted by a switch to Hydreigon. On the other hand, I could see immense benefits for replacing Aerodactyl with Deoxys-S for two reasons. The first reason was because of Deoxys-S's access to Knock Off. With 252 EVs invested into Attack, Deoxys-S's Knock Off is guaranteed to KO Gengar in one hit after just a single round of Stealth Rock damage, and has a very, very high chance of accomplishing such a feat even if Gengar is at full health anyway. And although Aerodactyl can use Crunch for that very same purpose, Crunch's general usefulness pales in comparison to Knock Off, and I would not use Crunch over Rock Slide even if I had to keep using the Fossil Pokémon anyway. And the second reason why I considered replacing Aerodactyl with Deoxys-S was because I saw just how incredibly useful Spikes user would be for this team, as just a single layer of Spikes on top of Stealth Rock is often needed in order to soften many Pokémon enough to be KO'd by one of The Champion's Glory Team's three Life Orb Protean Extreme Speed users. As such, my final decision in tweaking this team was replacing my blazingly fast Mold Breaker Aerodactyl with the luminally fast Teravolt Deoxys-S, with Knock Off, Spikes, Stealth Rock and Taunt as its moves.

With the sudden ban of Protean from the Almost Any Ability metagame on the 25th of September 2014, The Champion's Glory Team in its original form is no longer usable. One can, however, still use this team to decent effects by replacing the Protean of this team's Lucario, Arcanine and Dragonite with Tough Claws, while replacing Dragonite's Ice Punch and Thunder Punch with Dragon Claw and Fire Punch. Although, such a version of this team still pales in effectiveness compared to its former glory.

Last edited by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 29 Sep - 8:50; edited 5 times in total

Clan Leader

Re: The Champion's Glory Team (XY/ORAS Almost Any Ability, peaked #1 prior to the Protean ban)

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 26 May - 11:46

A closer look at the team:

Braviary (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Braviary is the first member of The Champion's Glory Team, though ironically, it is also this team's furthest member from its usual lead (for more information about this, see Deoxys-S's section), being the team's primary lategame sweeper, which cleans up the remains of opposing team's incredibly well with its unbelievably devastating +1 priority Brave Bird attack, which very few Pokémon can take well. Superpower serves to smash the Rock and Steel-type Pokémon that resist Brave Bird, while Braviary's Same Type Attack Bonus Return can hit Electric-type Pokémon hard on the switch, and U-turn can be used in certain specific situations and matchups for momentum-preserving purposes. Although truth be told, in 90% of practical situations, the Valiant Pokémon hardly ever gets the chance to use any move besides its fastest and most powerful attack anyway, due to Braviary's low Speed combined with Brave Bird's +1 priority as well as just how incredibly awesome Flying's neutral coverage is. The 252 Attack EVs and Adamant Nature serve to maximize the Normal/Flying-type Pokémon's destructive power, while the 252 HP EVs serve to both minimize the percentage of HP Braviary loses with each Brave Bird it fires in order to maximize the number of times it can use this incredibly useful technique, as well as to increase Braviary's bulk, since Gale Wings Pokémon in Almost Any Ability, from my experience, tend to attract a lot of Extreme Speed users, and thus often finds itself needing to take many Extreme Speeds in battle. The 4 Speed EVs are just for the niche purpose of allowing Braviary to outrun opposing Gale Wings Braviary that run 0 Speed EVs, or Speed-tie with them if they also run 4 Speed EVs.

It should be emphasized that if one sees a Gengar in the opponent's team, one should play Braviary very well and conservatively, since Braviary is the only member of The Champion's Glory Team besides Deoxys-S (which will have very likely fainted before Gengar steps foot on the battlefield) which can hit Gengar (and KO it in one hit, to boot) before Gengar hits it.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean (pre-Protean ban) / Tough Claws (post-Protean ban)
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - Extreme Speed
    - Swords Dance

The Champion's Glory Team's second member and first Protean Pokémon (or Tough Claws Pokémon after the Protean ban) is a Lucario. In addition to its excellent offensive coverage between Close Combat, Crunch and Extreme Speed, all of which it receives Same Type Attack Bonus for thanks to its Ability, as well as its capacity to utilize Extreme Speed for the purpose of either revenge-killing opposing threats or weaken them so that a different Extreme Speed user in its team can revenge-kill it, this Lucario can also boost its Attack to astonishing levels with Swords Dance. After a single boost with this move, Lucario's devastating Extreme Speed can KO pretty much any Pokémon that isn't resistant or immune to the move in a single hit, while with very few exceptions such as Terrakion, Lucario outruns almost every Pokémon that do not fall to a single +2 Extreme Speed, and can destroy them with a +2 hit with either Close Combat or Crunch. Even a fully physically-defensive Suicune 80.4 - 94.8% damage from the Aura Pokémon's +2 Close Combat, so even the Water-type legendary Pokémon is not safe from it after it has taken some damage, making this Lucario easily one of the deadliest sweepers ever in the pre-Protean ban Almost Any Ability metagame. Given how unbelievably offensive that metagame was though, combined with Lucario's frailty compounded by its Life Orb, it unfortunately did not receive too many opportunities to set up with Swords Dance, being able to do so only in the face of Pokémon with very little offensive presence or by coming into a faster Dragon-type Pokémon locked into Outrage. Nonetheless, regardless of whether or not Lucario actually gets to use Swords Dance, it still helps the team immensely in any battle thanks to its combination of wall-breaking and revenge-killing powers.

After Protean got banned from Almost Any Ability, I replaced Lucario's Ability with Tough Claws and continued using the team for a bit. The team was still decent, but nowhere near as good as before though, as the general drop in power with the change from Protean to Tough Claws was just way too much.

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Extreme Speed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge

This team's second Protean/Tough Claws Pokémon is the majestic Legendary Pokémon, Arcanine. Possessing a Jolly Nature unlike The Champion's Glory Team's other two Protean/Tough Claws Pokémon, Arcanine sacrifices some power in exchange for Speed, enabling it to outrun several dangerous threats in the metagame, most notably Adamant Lucario and Adamant Entei, as I believe that being able to outrun both of them and destroy the former while heavily damaging the latter with Close Combat is extremely important. And while this Arcanine would need to win a Speed-tie with Jolly Lucario, or get outrun by a Jolly Entei, I have never seen either of these two Pokémon running such Natures in Almost Any Ability before. And although Arcanine and Lucario both have the same Speed stat, I decided to make Arcanine the one with the Jolly Nature for the previously-mentioned purposes for two reasons. Firstly, I did not want to compromise Lucario's offensive power since it can sometimes serve as a sweeper with Swords Dance, and secondly, I found that Arcanine's natural resistance to both Fairy and Ice made it a generally better Pokémon for the purpose of revenge-killing opposing Extreme Speed users, given the prevalence of Pixilate and Refrigerate Extreme Speed users in the metagame. Anyway, despite possessing the weakest Extreme Speed in the team, the Legendary Pokémon still provides The Champion's Glory Team with the revenge-killing utility the other two Protean/Tough Claws Pokémon does with Extreme Speed, while its two most powerful attacks, Close Combat and Flare Blitz simply destroy many bulky Pokémon, such as Snorlax and Heatran with the former and non-Flash Fire Skarmory and Ferrothorn with the latter. This Arcanine's Wild Charge is a great tool for demolishing the many bulky Water-type Pokémon in the metagame such as Poison Heal Suicune, and also serves to destroy the very common Flash Fire Skarmory. Additionally, it should also be mentioned that the Fire typing Arcanine possesses either before it attacks or after it uses Flare Blitz is very useful, as it grants this Pokémon an immunity to Will-O-Wisp.

After Protean got banned from Almost Any Ability, I replaced Arcanine's Ability with Tough Claws and continued using the team for a bit. The team was still decent, but nowhere near as good as before though, as the general drop in power with the change from Protean to Tough Claws was just way too much.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Teravolt
    Jolly Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt

With very, very few exceptions, Deoxys-S is The Champion's Glory Team's go-to lead. I do understand that by unspoken convention, a team that has a dedicated lead, at least when presented in a Rate My Team thread, should occupy the first spot in the team instead of the fourth one. However, ever since a long time ago, I have always had a signature, aesthetic style when it comes to arranging the members of my teams, something which my audience may have picked up from reading the previous seven Rate My Team threads of mine, especially in the seemingly random and peculiar ways the Pokémon sprites may be arranged in the teambuilding process sections: I always arrange the Pokémon in my teams in such a way that it is in ascending order of base stat total (going by each Pokémon's base form, so any potential Mega Evolutions in the team are disregarded) - in other words, the Pokémon with the lowest base stat total in a team of mine will be the first member of the team, while the Pokémon with the highest base stat total will be the team's sixth member. If two or more Pokémon in my team happen to have the exact same base stat total, such as in The Champion's Glory Team, then those Pokémon that have identical base stat totals will be arranged in ascending order of how "grand", "awe-inspiring" or "worthy of being my signature/ace/strongest Pokémon or trump card" I think it is (think of how most important in-game Pokémon trainers have one of such Pokémon, most emphasized in the case of the Unova Gym Leaders). Or, in some cases of there being multiple Pokémon of identical base stat total in my team, the Pokémon closer to the team's sixth spot will just be my favorite of those Pokémon. There is only one exception to this rule for me, and that is if my team is for a metagame without Team Preview, such as BW1 DW Ubers, BW2 Balanced Hackmons, and pre-EV limit XY Balanced Hackmons, in which case the team's first spot will always be occupied by whichever Pokémon I think is the team's most optimal lead regardless of its base stat total, although the other five members of the team will still go by the rule I have always followed for arranging my team's members.

Anyway, with that out of the way, onto Deoxys-S itself: Stealth Rock and Spikes are self-explanatory - the former entry hazard as well as just a single layer of the second entry hazard deals 25% damage to most Pokémon, making it significantly easier for The Champion's Glory Team's four priority users to pick them off. For example, Stealth Rock alone gives this team's Dragonite a chance at knocking out a Latios in one Extreme Speed, while Stealth Rock combined with one layer of Spikes not only guarantees that Latios will fall to a single Extreme Speed from the Sea Dragon Pokémon, but it results in a very high chance of Raikou falling to a single hit from that move as well. Additionally, any fast Pokémon not resistant or immune to Extreme Speed is pretty much guaranteed to not even be able to live even a single hit from any of this team's three users of this move if they happen to switch in twice after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes are down. Spikes also serve a very important role in the Almost Any Ability metagame, which is to scout to see if any Pokémon on the opposing team, especially Steel types, possess the Levitate Ability, since the knowledge of whether or not the opponent's Pokémon has such an Ability can often be crucial not only to prevent this team's Dragonite from wasting a turn trying to hit them with Earthquake, but a Steel-type Pokémon that switches in without being harmed by Spikes is also guaranteed to not have Flash Fire, allowing Arcanine to Flare Blitz them without hesitation if they happen to possess a neutrality to Close Combat, such as if they are Scizor, Metagross or Jirachi. Deoxys-S's Taunt combined with its 252 Speed EVs as well as its Jolly Nature are extremely important for preventing the opponent's Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Pokémon from setting up entry hazards of their own, while Deoxys-S's own Teravolt Ability is to prevent its own entry hazards or Taunt from being reflected by an opposing Magic Bounce Pokémon. All of this is extremely important not only because half of The Champion's Glory Team is weak to Stealth Rock (come to think of it, it is a bit ironic that many of my most successful teams for many metagames are particularly weak to the game's most common entry hazard, for some reasons), but also because, although this team has two different methods of preventing entry hazards from going up in the first place, it has no way of actually removing entry hazards after they are up. With all of that in mind, always be prepared to switch to Hydreigon instead of using Taunt with Deoxys-S if you suspect that the opponent's entry hazard setter has Prankster, especially if the opponent doesn't have a Bisharp in their team, in which case switching to Hydreigon will generally not be too risky, unless the opponent's potential Prankster Pokémon is capable of hitting the Dark/Dragon-type Pokémon hard, of course. Finally, the 252 Attack EVs and Knock Off just serve as a filler move, for Deoxys-S to contribute something to the team offensively before it faints, if it gets the chance to. It should also be noted that Deoxys-S's Teravolt-enhanced Knock Off is very helpful for ruining the plans of level 1 Pokémon with Sturdy, Endeavor and Shell Bell.

If, for whatever reason, Deoxys-S needs to switch out after completing its job, most likely if a switch to Hydreigon is required in anticipation of a Prankster Pokémon, it can always come back in as death fodder later, which is a big plus for an offensive and momentum-based team such as this one.

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flash Cannon
    - Superpower

The second last member of The Champion's Glory Team is the destructive dark dragon, deemed by myself to be the optimal choice for this spot on the team for two reasons. The first is its ability to tank even a +2 Sucker Punch from a Life Orb Tough Claws Bisharp before retaliating with a brutal Superpower for the KO, something that is incredibly important for this team as it is weak to such a Pokémon otherwise. Secondly, without Hydreigon, The Champion's Glory Team would be in extremely desperate need for specially-offensive presence, especially something capable of destroying a Poison Heal Diancie after it has acquired multiple Defense boosts with Diamond Storm, which the Brutal Pokémon can indeed do with Flash Cannon. And since my team needed a Magic Bounce Pokémon anyway, and no other Ability, not even Mega Launcher is particularly good for Hydreigon, while Magic Bounce did not fit absolutely anywhere else in the team at all, I decided to just have the Dark/Dragon-type Pokémon double up as the team's Magic Bounce Pokémon. As long as the opponent's Pokémon does not have Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, Hydreigon can easily switch in to reflect any entry hazards one predicts from the opponent, which is incredibly easy as no one ever suspects Hydreigon, or any other Pokémon in this team for matter, of having Magic Bounce. Do be careful of doing this if the opponent has a Bisharp though, as it would be bad to have Hydreigon weakened before the opponent sets up with their Bisharp.

In regards to the Brutal Pokémon's moves, Draco Meteor is by far its strongest attack, capable of heavily damaging if not outright destroying most non-Fairy or Steel-type Pokémon. Hydreigon's Same Type Attack Bonus Dark Pulse, though weaker than its Draco Meteor, is more consistent in terms of accuracy as well as not lowering the user's Special Attack, while at the same time possessing awesome offensive coverage and being able super-effectively hit Metagross and Jirachi, two Pokémon that resist Draco Meteor while being unable to be hit super effectively by either of Hydreigon's two coverage moves. Superpower smashes most Steel-type Pokémon as well as Chansey, Blissey and Snorlax, and Flash Cannon gives Hydreigon a chance to deal some damage to Fairy-type Pokémon, despite not being able to outright beat any of them except for the aforementioned Diancie, which is the main reason why Hydreigon knows Flash Cannon anyway.

The EVs aim to maximize Hydreigon's Special Attack and Speed and give it a Special Attack-raising Nature without compromising its Attack too much, since it does use Superpower. A Rash Nature is used over a Mild Nature due to how incredibly centralized around Extreme Speed and Gale Wings Brave Bird Almost Any Ability is, at least prior to the Protean ban anyway.

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Extreme Speed
    - Ice Punch (pre-Protean ban) / Dragon Claw (post-Protean ban)
    - Thunder Punch (pre-Protean ban) / Fire Punch (post-Protean ban)

You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon. They're hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior. They're virtually indestructible. But the aforementioned three sentences take on an entirely new meaning in the pre-Protean ban Almost Any Ability metagame, in which the Ability Protean turns the normally exclusively Dragon/Flying-type Pokémon into a completely different monster altogether. Possessing the highest Attack stat of all Pokémon in a team comprising almost exclusively of physical attackers, Dragonite boasts the strongest Extreme Speed in this team, in addition to having access to a Same Type Attack Bonus Earthquake, which trades the ability to hit Levitate Steel-type Pokémon for the ability to hit Flash Fire Steel-type Pokémon, and it can smash many Pokémon hard with this move in general, including Poison Heal Diancie if it has not gotten any boosts with Diamond Storm yet. Additionally, the Sea Dragon Pokémon also possesses Same Type Attack Bonus for two elemental punches which constitute the long-famous coverage many know as 'BoltBeam", which has also ironically long been associated with the Pokémon Dragonite prior to Generation IV. Ice is an incredible offensive type whose power is not found on any other member of The Champion's Glory Team, making Ice Punch an extremely valuable move on this Dragonite for taking down common threats such as Zapdos and Gliscor, while Thunder Punch, much like Arcanine's Wild Charge, destroys the physical wall Skarmory as well as the extremely common bulky Water-type Pokémon found in Almost Any Ability, such as Poison Heal Suicune. As an added bonus, Dragonite's Earthquake and Thunder Punch attacks grant it a temporary immunity to Thunder Wave too, which is always nice.

With its pretty much perfect array of coverage moves combined with its long-time iconically-high 134 base Attack, do not hesitate to send Dragonite out if its power is needed to break through the opponent's team judging by what is seen of it in Team Preview, and equally do not hesitate to send out this Pokémon if you judge that the opponent's fast Pokémon may not be low enough on health to be revenge-killed by the Extreme Speed of Arcanine or Lucario, while one does not want to be locked into the Brave Bird of Braviary just yet due to the observation of an Electric, Rock or Steel-type Pokémon in the opposing team.

After Protean got banned from Almost Any Ability, I replaced Dragonite's Ability with Tough Claws. Additionally, I also replaced its Ice Punch and Thunder Punch attacks with Dragon Claw and Fire Punch, the former because it gives Dragonite a very, very powerful attack after the Tough Claws and Life Orb boost, and the latter because Fire complements Dragon well offensively. The team was still decent, but nowhere near as good as before though, as the general drop in power with the change from Protean to Tough Claws, as well as the changing of Dragonite's coverage moves were just way too much.

Importable:

Importable (original version):
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Protean
    Adamant Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - Extreme Speed
    - Swords Dance

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Extreme Speed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge

Jolly Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
    Rash Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flash Cannon
    - Superpower

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Extreme Speed
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunder Punch
    Importable (post-Protean ban usable, but not as effective version):
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Return
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Tough Claws
    Adamant Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Crunch
    - Extreme Speed
    - Swords Dance

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Extreme Speed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge

Jolly Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
    Rash Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flash Cannon
    - Superpower

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Extreme Speed
    - Fire Punch

Replays (there are far more, but unfortunately, the vast majority of the replays of my battles with this team under the name LLW【天龍神】 are no longer accessible. Also, unless stated otherwise, these replays were taken prior to the Protean ban):

VS. Heisenerg (an extremely skilled trainer)
    VS. Heisenerg (again)
    VS. Death on Wings (a member of The Mewtwo Maniacs, my team in the 2014 Other Metagames Premier League)
    VS. godpizza
    VS. godpizza (again)
    VS. malagras
    VS. Strength Policy
    VS. Tabikii
    VS. katevallet56
    VS. Ninety Nine
    VS. Magical Girl Yuna!
    VS. Haxoru$
    VS. sacaaaen
    VS. out of inspiration
    VS. Scarfed Lako
    VS. master3x3
    VS. New Old Competitor
    VS. Plantyjr
    VS. yard sard
    VS. Storm Echo
    VS. Super McFly (post-Protean ban)
    VS. Super McFly (post-Protean ban, again)
    VS. Hudology (post-Protean ban)
    VS. Mangoface (post-Protean ban)
    VS. Mangoface (post-Protean ban, again)
    VS. Lord Zemnik (post-Protean ban)
    VS. Daze-Senpai (post-Protean ban)
    VS. BootySweat (post-Protean ban)
    VS. icemaster523 (post-Protean ban)
    VS. RazorLogic (post-Protean ban, testing a version of the team with Ice Punch and Thunder Punch over Dragon Claw and Fire Punch on Dragonite)
    VS. bo3rn (post-Protean ban, testing a version of the team with Ice Punch and Thunder Punch over Dragon Claw and Fire Punch on Dragonite)
    VS. Son Gohome (post-Protean ban)
    VS. LadyLeumas (post-Protean ban, final battle in a tournament in Pokémon Showdown!'s Other Metas room)
    VS. OM room (post-Protean ban)

Threat List:

: Arcanine's Wild Charge, Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and Dragonite's Thunder Punch all heavily damage Skarmory, and Arcanine can even use Flare Blitz for that purpose if the Armor Bird Pokémon has proven that it does not have Flash Fire. Deoxys-S can use Taunt to present Skarmory from using Defog or set up entry hazards, while Magic Bounce Hydreigon can be switched into Skarmory to reflect any entry hazards it attempts to set up.

: Usually beaten by Arcanine. Can be revenge-killed in one hit by Braviary's Brave Bird, or even 2-3 hits from The Champion's Glory Team's three extremely powerful Extreme Speed users as well, depending on how many layers of entry hazards are on the opponent's side of the field. Beware of any Pixilate or Refrigerate-enhanced Extreme Speeds that may be aimed at Braviary (in the latter case), Hydreigon or Dragonite though.

: Arcanine resists both Pixilate and Refrigerate Extreme Speeds, and can revenge-kill Lucario with Close Combat or Flare Blitz (in almost all situations one would want to go for the former), since Lucario almost never run a Jolly Nature likeThe Champion's Glory Team's Arcanine does, and even if one does, it would need to win a Speed-tie with Arcanine anyway. If Lucario happens to have Protean as its Ability, it will lose its Steel typing after using Swords Dance, meaning Arcanine can revenge-kill it with Extreme Speed unless Lucario happens to be Jolly and wins the Speed-tie with Arcanine. If Protean Lucario still has its Steel typing intact, that means it has not used Swords Dance, and therefore will not be able to KO Arcanine with one Extreme Speed, allowing Arcanine to take an Extreme Speed (if it even needs to do that, as that may not be necessary if Lucario's trainer thinks they can outrun Arcanine for some reasons, and therefore goes for a Close Combat) before knocking out Lucario with Close Combat or Flare Blitz. If necessary, The Champion's Glory Team's own Lucario can be sent in to revenge-kill an opposing Protean Lucario even after it has acquired a Swords Dance boost. This is because The Champion's Glory Team's own Lucario will have its Steel typing intact upon first being sent out, while the opponent's Protean Lucario will not, meaning even if The Champion's Glory Team's Lucario loses the Speed tie, it will be able to take a +2 resisted Extreme Speed from the opposing Lucario, before firing a neutral Extreme Speed of its own, which will heavily damage the opposing Lucario if not KO it after it has taken just a bit of damage, or lowered its own Defense even once with Close Combat. Since almost every Lucario does not run a Jolly Nature as mentioned previously, many of them can be revenge-killed by Hydreigon or Dragonite as well, provided they have not used Swords Dance and do not possess the Pixilate or Refrigerate Ability of course.

: Breloom pretty much always have Prankster as their Ability in this metagame, so if it comes in against Deoxys-S, most likely as a lead, switch to Hydreigon to block the Spore, before crushing the Mushroom Pokémon with Draco Meteor, tanking a Mach Punch if necessary. The other members of The Champion's Glory Team will not have many problems with the Grass/Flying-type Pokémon thanks to their devastating priority attacks, especially after entry hazards have been set.

: Easily destroyed by the Close Combat of Lucario and Arcanine as well as the Earthquake of Dragonite if it does not have Levitate. Hydreigon's Superpower and Dark Pulse can heavily damage it too. Braviary's Brave Bird can revenge-kill Heatran too after it has been weakened enough, and if Team Preview makes one suspicious of the opponent's Heatran having Stealth Rock, Hydreigon can always be switched in before threatening the Lava Dome Pokémon.

: Cannot threaten The Champion's Glory Team much thanks to the presence of four extremely powerful physical Fighting-type moves in it, Dragonite which can smash the Sleeping Pokémon hard with its Life Orb Same Type Attack Bonus Earthquake off its insane 134 Attack, and Snorlax also cannot set up with Curse on Deoxys-S thanks to Taunt.

: Revenge-killed by Braviary's Brave Bird. If Deoxys-S happens to still be around by the time the opponent's Gengar shows up, it can hit Gengar with Knock Off, a move which is guaranteed to knock out the Shadow Pokémon after just a single layer of entry hazard, and has a very high chance of knocking it out in one hit from 100% health anyway. Dragonite, if healthy and not of the Normal or Ice type at the time, can survive any hit from Sheer Force Life Orb Gengar before retaliating with a KO using Earthquake. If Dragonite is of the Normal or Ice type at the time when the opponent's Gengar is sent out, the Sea Dragon Pokémon can still beat the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon if it does not have Focus Blast or if that extremely inaccurate move misses, and Hydreigon can also beat Gengar under the same conditions.

: Shuckle are pretty much always leads. If it has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, a message will indicate that, so prevent it from setting up any entry hazards with Deoxys-S's Taunt. If no message indicates that Shuckle has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, then chances are its Ability is Prankster, in which case one should switch to Hydreigon to reflect Stealth Rock or Sticky Web. Hydreigon can then proceed to destroy the Mold Pokémon, by blasting it with super effective Flash Cannons, or going for Same Type Attack Bonus Dark Pulses or Draco Meteors, which can heavily damage Shuckle in addition to threatening potential switch-ins.

: Even after it somehow acquires a Swords Dance boost, it can be revenge-killed by either Lucario or Hydreigon, if either one remains healthy enough to take a +2 Tough Claws Sucker Punch before Bisharp comes in. If neither Lucario nor Hydreigon is healthy enough to do so, this team can still beat Bisharp with a combination of hitting it on the turn it Swords Dances, weakening it with multiple Extreme Speeds while sacrificing those Extreme Speed users in the process, playing Sucker Punch-based mindgames with Bisharp's trainer by confusing it between Extreme Speed and the other attacks of this team's three Protean Pokémon, and having Bisharp weaken itself with Life Orb recoil, if it happens to be holding that item.

: Mew are very often leads. If it has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, a message will indicate that, so prevent it from setting up Stealth Rock with Deoxys-S's Taunt. If no message indicates that Mew has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, then chances are its Ability is Prankster, in which case one should switch to Hydreigon to reflect Stealth Rock, before threatening the New Species Pokémon with Hydreigon's powerful Life Orb and Same Type Attack Bonus-boosted super effective Dark Pulse. If Mew happens to be running an offensive set such as Protean, it can be revenge-killed in one hit by Braviary's Brave Bird, or two hits with any of Lucario's, Arcanine's and Dragonite's Extreme Speed.

: Every member of The Champion's Glory Team can heavily damage if not outright KO Victini, even if it means sacrificing itself in doing so in order to allow a different Pokémon in the team to finish the job, and four of those Pokémon can do so with a priority move, while a fifth one naturally outruns even Choice Scarf Victini.

: Arcanine's Flare Blitz (unless Chesnaught has Flash Fire), Hydreigon's Draco Meteor, Dragonite's Ice Punch (or Fire Punch after the Protean ban), and especially Braviary's Brave Bird destroy it.

: Unless the opponent's Dragonite has somehow used Dragon Dance beforehand, Lucario and Arcanine both outrun it and can hit it with Extreme Speed before they themselves get hit, and both of those Pokémon can deal more than 50% damage to the Sea Dragon Pokémon with Extreme Speed, meaning if one of them fails to finish Dragonite off, the other will succeed. Hydreigon also outruns any Dragonite that has not used Dragon Dance, can survive even a Protean Extreme Speed provided it is unboosted, and it is guaranteed to KO the Dragon/Flying-type Pokémon with one Draco Meteor if it has not changed its type with Protean, guaranteed to KO the Sea Dragon Pokémon in one hit if it has changed its type with Protean and suffered one round of Stealth Rock damage or Life Orb recoil, and even have a 50% chance of knocking out a full-health Dragonite in one hit even after it has changed types with Protean. Although, with all of that said, beware of Pixilate or Refrigerate Extreme Speed. If Dragonite has not used Dragon Dance and has changed its type to Normal with a Protean Extreme Speed, Lucario can come in to revenge-kill the dragon with Close Combat, while risking being hit only by a resisted Extreme Speed on that turn, or even without being hit altogether if the opponent's Dragonite is within the KO range of Lucario's own Extreme Speed. If Dragonite has used Dragon Dance and is within the KO range of Lucario's Extreme Speed, Lucario can come in and revenge-kill the Sea Dragon Pokémon while surviving a boosted Extreme Speed from Dragonite thanks to the Aura Pokémon's Steel typing. Or, if the opponent's Dragon Dance Dragonite happens to have Pixilate as its Ability, Arcanine would serve that purpose better. Although one should, again, watch out for Pixilate or Refrigerate Extreme Speeds, The Champion's Glory Team's own Dragonite can play Speed-creep/tie games with opposing Dragonite if necessary. And with all of the previous mentions of Dragon Dance in mind, do try to prevent Dragonite from using that move in the first place, such as with the Taunt of Deoxys-S if it is out.

: Can only be somewhat threatening if it comes into Hydreigon, and even then, if Hydreigon needs to be preserved for later, such as if one sees a Bisharp in the opponent's team via Team Preview, one can always switch to Lucario or Arcanine on the predicted Ice Beam, before threatening the Water/Psychic-type Pokémon with Extreme Speed. Aside from coming into Hydreigon, Starmie will have a hard time accomplishing much as all the other members of the team either has Gale Wings Choice Band Brave Bird (which will vaporize Starmie completely in one hit), Protean Life Orb Extreme Speed, or outruns Starmie and can hit it hard with a super effective Knock Off. A single round of Stealth Rock damage gives Starmie a 75% high chance of being knocked out in a single Extreme Speed from Protean Dragonite, while Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes not only guarantees Starmie's demise from a single hit from the aforementioned move, but also an 81.3% chance of being knocked out in a single hit by Lucario's Extreme Speed.

: Can survive a bit better than Starmie, but more or less faces the same situation that it does overall.

: Every member of The Champion's Glory Team outruns it, and every member of the team except for Deoxys-S, which can Taunt it and use it as hazard bait, hits it hard. Any potential attempt to set up Stealth Rock from Swampert's part can be stopped by either Deoxys-S's Taunt or Hydreigon's Magic Bounce.

: Meets the same situation as Starmie and Latios, except it trades the ability to be hit super effectively by Deoxys-S's Knock Off (but Deoxys-S can set up entry hazards on this Pokémon anyway) for the ability to be outrun and obliterated by Arcanine's Close Combat, unless the opponent's Dark/Dragon-type Pokémon runs a Speed-raising Nature.

: More often than not obliterated by a combination of Arcanine's Wild Charge, Dragonite's Thunder Punch, Lucario's +2 Close Combat (in the post-Protean ban version of The Champion's Glory Team, this move even has a chance of knocking out a max. HP and Defense Suicune in a single blow!), Hydreigon's attacks and Braviary's Brave Bird.

: Can wall Lucario well and beat Hydreigon one-on-one if it has Moonblast, but it is hazard bait for Deoxys-S (Taunt stops Clefable from boosting with Cosmic Power), and the team's other three members just have attacks that hit too hard for Clefable to be able to handle.

: A Pokémon so lacking in offensive presence is hardly a problem for a team with four extremely powerful dedicated physical attacks, four users of a 120 base power physical Fighting-type move, a Magic Bounce Pokémon, and one Teravolt Pokémon which can Taunt Chansey in addition to setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes on it, and even Knock Off its Eviolite if necessary.

: Lacks offensive presence and is destroyed by Arcanine's Wild Charge, Dragonite's Thunder Punch, Lucario's Crunch especially if boosted, and especially Hydreigon's Dark Pulse.

: Can be easily pressured and eventually destroyed by a combination of Arcanine's Flare Blitz, Hydreigon's Dark Pulse and especially Dragonite's Ice Punch.

: Faces a very similar situation to the one that Starmie and Latios do.

: Deoxys-S's Taunt can stop Ferrothorn from setting up entry hazards, though watch out for Prankster, which is where Hydreigon comes in. The Dark/Dragon-type Pokémon can reflect an entry hazard from Ferrothorn and beat it one-on-one with a combination of Dark Pulse and Superpower. Lucario and Arcanine can destroy the Thorn Pod Pokémon with their powerful Close Combat, and Braviary and Dragonite can both hit this Pokémon hard with Brave Bird and Earthquake respectively if need be.

: Aside from its inability to be KO'd in a single Extreme Speed even with the help of entry hazards, as well as its general resilience to Deoxys-S's Knock Off, especially if it holds a Garchompite, Garchomp meets the same general situation as Starmie, Latios and Shaymin-S.

: Can be quite a dangerous Pokémon due to its high Speed combined with its resistance to both Extreme Speed and Knock Off, especially if the opponent's team contains Pokémon that can stomach Braviary's Brave Bird well. But with sufficient entry hazards down,  the Cavern Pokémon should not be too much of a problem, as switching Terrakion out of Braviary's Brave Bird will be very costly for the opponent in such a situation, while entry hazards will also weaken the Rock/Fighting-type Pokémon, enabling it to be taken down with two or three Extreme Speeds if need be.

: Deoxys-S's Taunt stops Galvantula's attempt to set up Sticky Web, Knock Off or Stealth Rock deprives the EleSpider Pokémon of its Focus Sash, and then it can be easily revenge-killed by a priority attack after that.

: The situation Gyarados faces is pretty much the same as the one Garchomp faces, except Gyarados is even easier to deal with as not only can Hydreigon outrun it and heavily damage if not KO it with Draco Meteor, but provided it has not acquired a Dragon Dance boost, it can be destroyed by Arcanine's Wild Charge, or even the Close Combat of Lucario and Arcanine if it Mega Evolves. Gyarados is also weak to Stealth Rock and has noticeably less physical bulk than Garchomp.

: Walled and destroyed by Hydreigon, and is mostly Taunt bait for Deoxys-S, though watch out for Prankster. Lucario's Crunch, especially boosted, also obliterates Deoxys-D rather quickly.

: Hydreigon's Dark Pulse destroys it, as does Lucario's boosted Crunch, and Deoxys-S's Knock Off can reduce this Pokémon's bulk dramatically by depriving it of its Eviolite. Doublade can also be either incinerated to ashes by Arcanine's Flare Blitz or Dragonite's Earthquake, depending on if it has Levitate or Flash Fire, a question whose answer can be made obvious just by having Deoxys-S place a layer of Spikes on the opponent's field before their Doublade comes in.

Last edited by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 29 Sep - 8:54; edited 1 time in total

Banned Deucer

Re: The Champion's Glory Team (XY/ORAS Almost Any Ability, peaked #1 prior to the Protean ban)

Post by Desch on Tue 26 May - 20:04

Formidable team! Too bad it can no longer be used with the power it had in its prime, but still very effective nonetheless, I even won a tour with it! Anyways, after using the team myself for some days, I did notice some problems it had. Mega-Diancie, Chlorophyll Specs Eruption Heatran (if sun got up), (Sub) Normalize Skill Swap Gengar, Mandibuzz, Regenerator/Poison Heal Regirock and bulky spinners were all problematic.

All those things robbed the team of precious momentum and I was not entirely sure how to handle all of them. Adding Bullet Punch over Swords Dance could remedy the Mega-Diancie weakness, but it is rather lame losing the ability to SD, but I think you should at least mention it somewhere.

A real good suggestion from tho, that I think should be considered for the team is Rocky Helmet Deoxys instead of the Sashed variant you are currently using. This helps a little bit with Spinners who want to spin away all your hazards with ease, but that's not all. It gives off a lot of residual damage to a lot of things that would not like it, it brakes sashes, adds more damage do i.e. Brave Birders, punishes U-Turns and if you invest in bulk, which you should, you'll live most hits, and maybe even more so than what you used to. Very often your opponents lead will be put an an HP percentage that lets you revenge kill them with either your E-Speeders or with your Bird. I recommend the following set, it has very decent bulks and is very effective:
    Deoxys-Speed's set:

Deoxys-Speed @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Turboblaze
    EVs: 236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Knock Off
    - Taunt
    Another thing I noticed was that Braviary's other moves were not used that much (obviously), so I looked around in his movesets to find some slightly more useful moves. Defog and Tailwind comes to mind, as they also get priority, whereas the latter can really give your other Adamant hard hitting wall breakers the speed they sometimes wish they could have, for clutch situations. I guess it can be used over their Normal STAB, as I don't really think it has much use. Also, on the topic of Normal-Type STABs, Retaliate could also be an option there, although that might be a little bit too situational?

I'm sorry to say it, but Hydreigon is the least valuable member of the team as far as I can see. His only use is bouncing back things, and seeing how it was designed to beat Diancie (and not the now more populare mega-evolved form of this) and now fails to do that, I thought I could add something that would help the team some more. My best suggestion is Mega-Diancie. Specifically one with max speed. This thing is a little bit more like Hydreigon, compared to Metagross, as it is a mixed attacker. It can also speedtie with Gengar (a big plus) and Latios (who also commonly runs HP Fire, which means you outspeed) and also resists both E-Speed and Brave Bird. Sadly, this thing doesn't beat Blissey/Chansey and Ferrothorn as easy as Hydreigon did, but I guess those can be handled by Lucario, you can even set up SD on them. Another flaw Mega-Diancie has is that it doesn't have Magic Bounce when you switch it in, making it harder to have hazards control. However, it threatens a lot of dangerous things, like Mandibuzz so much that I think that this poke might be worth it. The ability you can use on its regular form vary; Illusion, Download, Intimidate, etc. But the Ability I think would be best is Sand Stream. For an offensive team like this, chip damage is key. And a Sandstorm provides you with this. It also boosts you SpD by 50% which is really nice and makes Diancie a sort of offensive-deffensive backbone on you team who really supports your other pokes and complements your strategy very well. Mega Diancie can also counterteam opposing variants of your team you could find whilst battling in the AAA meta, so that is also pretty neat. Btw, Magic Bounce Mega-Metagross can also fill this slot. He resists both of the common priority moves (E-Speed and Brave Bird) and who also can bounce back statuses, hits hard, STAB priority, also gets Tough Claws when evolving and also has the cool niche of not ruining the theme of your team, as Steven, the Champion from Hoenn uses this thing as his signature poke!
    Diancie's set:

Diancie @ Diancite
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Naive Nature
    - Protect
    - Diamond Storm
    - Moonblast
    - Earth Power
    Lucario and Arcanine could run 29 IVs in HP, to get a Life Orb number. After attacking twice, they'll be back at the HP they would normally be at. I guess this doesn't really matter too much in the end, and may not change anything practically speaking, however I do believe it could be beneficial for at least Lucario.

Another thing I noticed was that of the 3 Tough Claws users, Arcanine was the one who could afford to change its set the most of them. I think Refrigerate could also be used, as it revenge kills birds, and powerful dragons, and hit with the same power Tough Claws E-Speed would. It would also help against Mega-Diancie.

Once again, tho, awesome team! You are indeed a legend!
    P.S. I liked In Luck We Trust the most! Really enjoyable team!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 16 Dec - 18:40