The Shining Utopia

☽Mare Tranquillitatis☾ (Balanced Hackmons, #1, #2, #3 AND #4 simultaneously)

Immanent God LANCE
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

☽Mare Tranquillitatis☾ (Balanced Hackmons, #1, #2, #3 AND #4 simultaneously)

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 17 Aug - 9:51

"Upon the setting of the Sun, darkness consumes the world. Abandoned by the very source of light and energy on which all life on Earth depends, the inhabitants of that planet can only turn their faith towards the savior of the night. The one that sits beyond our planet, and yet is always with us. The one that reflects the very power of the Sun when that star is absent in the sky, and serves as a glimmer of hope upon which we can cling on to survive until the coming dawn. With its heavenly presence often regarded as a symbol of peace, love, tranquility, feminity and passivity, this natural satellite holds a deceptive amount of power, for such not only extends towards the control over the tides of our great seas, but also serves as the very power harnessed by my Pokémon, in order to allow this team collectively to achieve a transcendent, enlightened and god-like state!"

A little less than a year ago, one of the greatest and most significant events in the history of competitive Pokémon took place - the celebration of the tenth anniversary of the time the world's one true Great Pokémon Master spent participating in battles on online Pokémon simulators, embodied by his legendary BW2 Balanced Hackmons Rate My Team thread, Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland. With the memory of the aforementioned celebration still fresh in the minds of everyone in the competitive Pokémon community, and especially for the people reading this thread, who will more than likely be Balanced Hackmons players anyway and thus would be familiar with my tenth anniversary Rate My Team thread, I judge that introducing myself here will not be necessary, for I would presume that Pokémon trainers far and wide all know about my legendary name and presence. Although I have been continuously playing several other metagames, mostly Übers and PokeBattle's 1000 PBV tier after the release of Pokémon X and Y, I completely stopped playing Balanced Hackmons until about eight months later, as upon playing it for a little bit at the very beginning of Generation VI, I was put off by how incredibly centralizing I perceived Shedinja to be in this metagame, due to the weather nerf as well as the introduction of the Safety Goggles item making it much more difficult to check the Shed Pokémon with Hail or Sandstorm, and the Defog buff making it much more difficult to check the Bug/Ghost-type Pokémon with entry hazards. Things changed however, when my friend Mask of the Ice mentioned the idea of "Mold Breaker Pursuit" to me sometime back in June, and upon hearing about that and recognizing it as a way of easily disposing of Shedinja in Balanced Hackmons, I was immediately inspired to get back into that metagame, and eventually, through a series of trials and errors, eventually managed to create a masterpiece.

XY Ubers, XY OU, PokeBattle's 1000 PBV tier and Battle Factory 6v6 are all Pokémon metagames of Generation VI which I have played... but I would like to proudly state right now that despite any reputation I may happen to have as a player of any of the aforementioned tiers, Mare Tranquillitatis is undoubtedly by far the single best team I have ever built for any Generation VI metagame. Thanks to the power of this team, I consider XY Balanced Hackmons to be the single Generation VI metagame I am most competent at, and I believe that the screenshot of the Balanced Hackmons ladder as seen above (#1, #2, #3 AND #4 are all me, using Mare Tranquillitatis with every name) serves as proof of that.

Unfortunately, with this extremely recent news in mind, my Balanced Hackmons team has become completely unusable. Therefore, in response to that, I am making this Rate My Team thread dedicated to it, in order to serve as a shrine to the glory it embodies.

The team at a glance:

Team building process:

With absolutely no other viable starting point available to me, I decided to begin and approach the XY Balanced Hackmons metagame by taking the subject of my tenth anniversary Rate My Team thread, my legendary BW2 Balanced Hackmons team Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland, and using it as a base to make modifications to, in order to find the perfect XY Balanced Hackmons team for myself.

The very first change I decided was the inclusion of a Pokémon with both Turboblaze (my favorite Ability out of itself, Teravolt and Mold Breaker, due to its association with two of my favorite legendary Pokémon ever as aptly included in the subject of my tenth anniversary Rate My Team) and Pursuit in order to easily dispose of Sturdy Shedinja. As eliminating Sturdy Shedinja was one of the central purposes of my Snow Warning Kyurem-W in BW2 Balanced Hackmons, I decided to replace it with the Turboblaze Pursuit user. The first thought that came to my mind for a user of this combination was either Deoxys-A or Deoxys-S, just because I remembered such Pokémon, when wielding Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt as their Ability, being incredibly dangerous at times in the BW2 Balanced Hackmons metagame with their Magic Bounce-penetrating Spore, Stealth Rock, and sometimes Spikes. However, as the idea of the move Spore came to my mind, I remembered that as of Generation VI, Grass-type Pokémon are now immune to that move, making me consider opting for a Turboblaze Pursuit user that can use Spore and threaten Grass-type Pokémon. As I saw a great importance in Speed for a Turboblaze Spore user, the first Pokémon I actually chose to replace Kyurem-W with was Jolly Mega Aerodactyl, thanks to its blindingly high Speed that even matches Deoxys-A's, combined with its ability to destroy Grass-type Pokémon with a powerful Same Type Attack Bonus Brave Bird. Needless to say, alongside Brave Bird, Pursuit and Spore, I also taught Mega Aerodactyl Stealth Rock, since it can set up this entry hazard on even Magic Bounce Pokémon after all. I also gave Mega Aerodactyl a pair of Safety Goggles to protect it from Prankster Spores, as well as the Spores of Imposters, and I also made Mega Aerodactyl the team's lead, as leading with a Turboblaze Spore user is always good since no Poison Heal or Magic Guard Pokémon will have their orb activated at the very beginning of a match.

I replaced Giratina-A's Haze with the newer and superior Topsy-Turvy, and at the same time, I also replaced Arceus with a Xerneas wielding the exact same moveset, except with Moonblast over Blizzard, since Blizzard is no longer a very viable move in the absence of infinite Hail, and Arceus has no way of threatening the great Spin-blocker Giratina-A without Blizzard, while Xerneas can do so with its powerful Moonblast. I also immediately knew that Xerneas's Fairy typing would offer the team incredible defensive synergy, which served as all the more reason why I decided to put it in my team, and it has not disappointed me ever since.

Finally, I also, at a whim, replaced Mewtwo with Yveltal as the team's Poison Heal + Spore + Quiver Dance users, with Dark Pulse and its signature move Oblivion Wing as the offensive moves, just to see how it works. And then, after eight months of inactivity in the Balanced Hackmons tier, I decided to have my very first few battles with a Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland with the aforementioned modifications applied.

The very first problem I noticed was that the team was very weak to Refrigerate Kyurem-B, so I replaced Lugia with Arceus as the team's Unaware wall, choosing to disguise it as an Arceus-Dark just because that is my favorite Arceus Forme aesthetically. I also replaced my Unaware wall's Dragon Tail,  Spore and Whirlwind with Gastro Acid, Will-O-Wisp and Foul Play, and its Leftovers with a pair of Safety Goggles, upon noticing how ineffective Dragon Tail was in the XY Balanced Hackmons metagame due to Xerneas's omnipresence, the loss in Spore's value due to the change in sleep mechanics, the necessity of Gastro Acid and Safety Goggles on an Unaware Pokémon in order to deal with Poison Heal sweepers with Spore, the need to be able to actually do something against Magic Bounce Pokémon, and finally, the fact that I have noticed that spreading burns can be quite useful in this new Balanced Hackmons metagame, where sleep is not as effective a status effect as before.

Next, I noticed that even the supreme bulk of the Pokémon world's God Himself was barely sufficient for tanking Kyurem-B's incredibly powerful Life Orb-boosted Refrigerate attacks, so I changed my Unaware wall once again to Kyogre, a Pokémon that may not be known for its physical bulk, but possessed a useful resistance to Ice. I also found that using Yveltal as a Poison Heal sweeper was a bad idea, due to its ability to be easily sniped down by Refrigerate Kyurem-B's Extreme Speed regardless of how many boosts it has attained, so I changed my team's Poison Heal sweeper to Mega Mewtwo Y, utilizing the exact same moveset as my trademark Mewtwo from Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland, except with a Modest Nature, as even with this Nature, it can outrun Arceus that opt for a Speed-raising Nature anyway.

Finally, I also realized that the transition from Generation V to Generation VI has marked the death of Reshiram's viability, as I believe that in Balanced Hackmons, both in Generation V and Generation VI, I believe that a general rule of thumb is to never, ever use a Sweeper Offensive Threat if it cannot reliably defeat the great Imposters of the tier - Blissey and Eviolite Chansey. That was why Choice Scarf Contrary Reshiram was such a great Pokémon in Mirages of the Frozen Wasteland - it may not have contributed that much to the team other than by being a sweeper, but it  could easily outrun and blast its way through Imposters with a boosted, super effective Draco Meteor, thanks to its Choice Scarf. However, I discovered that it no longer works in XY Balanced Hackmons thanks to the omnipresence of Xerneas making Reshiram locking itself into Draco Meteor a bad idea, combined with the ubiquity of Imposters and Flash Fire Pokémon making Reshiram locking itself into Overheat a bad idea, putting the Vast White Pokémon in a disadvantageous position most of the time regardless of which move it chooses to lock itself into. And if it chooses to not lock itself into a move by not holding a Choice Scarf at all, then it cannot reliably defeat Imposters at all, making it an unviable sweeper in my eyes. As such, I decided to replace the team's Contrary Reshiram with a different offensive threat - a Life Orb Refrigerate Kyurem-W with Blue Flare, Boomburst, Draco Meteor and Extreme Speed, for the purpose of wall-breaking, especially with its devastating, Life Orb, Same Type Attack Bonus and Refrigerate-boosted Boomburst coming off its absolutely insane 170 base Special Attack, and with Extreme Speed, it could also revenge-kill some threats like a damaged Shell Smash Mega Gengar. This was a Pokémon which I was comfortable with putting in the team, as my Kyogre walled it anyway in case it got Impostered.

Upon using Kyurem-W, I came to realize that my team had trouble breaking through Flash Fire Steel-type Pokémon. Thus, next came, replacing Mega Aerodactyl, the addition to this team of which I am most proud - my personal invention and trademark Pokémon for the XY Balanced Hackmons metagame: A blazing aura-radiating, Safety Goggles-donning Jolly Ho-Oh with Pursuit, Spore, Stealth Rock and V-create - the creation of mine that is to XY Balanced Hackmons as ChaosGeneral1337 was to BW2 Balanced Hackmons. With a powerful, Turboblaze-enhanced and Same Type Attack Bonus-boosted V-create, this team's fiery lead allows me to easily threaten any Steel-type Pokémon regardless of their Ability, while at the same time maintaining Mega Aerodactyl's status as a Turboblaze Spore user that threatens Grass-type Pokémon, and possessing much better defensive ability thanks to both its stats (especially that enormous Special Defense) and generally-superior defensive typing, all in exchange for far less Speed, which I learned hardly mattered anyway, as from my experience, the extremely crowded group of Pokémon with 90, 92, 95, 99 and 100 base Speed in the Balanced Hackmons metagame almost never run a Speed-enhancing Nature anyway, meaning my Jolly Ho-Oh outruns them all, while the Rainbow Pokémon's Safety Goggles protect it from the Spore of faster Pokémon such as Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S anyway. Additionally, high Speed in exchange for longevity and contribution to a team's defensive synergy is only really important for a suicide lead anyway, yet the Mega Aerodactyl I used previously cannot really be used as a suicide lead unless I was sure that the opponent did not have a Sturdy Shedinja - in other words, it could never be used as a simple suicide lead unless I have prior knowledge of my opponent's team, since Balanced Hackmons has no Team Preview.

Upon fighting some Refrigerate Kyurem-B that knew Outrage, I realized that Kyogre was not enough to hold the Black Forme of the Boundary Pokémon off, and seeing as using Kyogre as an Unaware wall also made my team weak to Poison Heal Regigigas and Slaking, I replaced it with an Empoleon utilizing the same set.

Around that time, I lost to a skilled trainer who had a Prankster Aegislash-Shield. Seeing appeal in the fact that Aegislash possessed a resistance rather than a weakness to Dragon, Ice and Fairy, unlike Giratina-A, I replaced the Renegade Pokémon with the Royal Sword Pokémon's Shield Forme, keeping the Prankster Ability while using the moves Encore, Parting Shot, Recover and Topsy-Turvy, a move which I never regretted as my team became much more resilient to Refrigerate Kyurem-B than ever before, as Aegislash could easily switch into its Ice-type moves before retreating with Parting Shot, at which point Xerneas can deal with it decently since Kyurem-B's offensive stats have been lowered. Just like in Probability-Defying Perfection, I opted for Aegislash's cooler-looking shiny sprite.

Since my team no longer struggled with Kyurem-B, I replaced Empoleon (which couldn't even deal with Kyurem-B anyway due to Thousand Arrows) with Arceus again for my Unaware wall, as it could wall other threats more effectively, and I also replaced my Mega Mewtwo Y with Adrian Marin's infamous Poison Heal Kyogre, as unlike Mega Mewtwo Y, it could not have its sweep easily stopped by some Pokémon like Poison Heal + Knock Off Yveltal or Mega Tyranitar, and Kyogre's superior physical bulk also helped against users of Fake Out + Extreme Speed, especially Kyurem-B. The addition of Quiver Dance Poison Heal Kyogre to this team was a change I never regretted, as in addition to contributing greatly to the team's defensive synergy thanks to its awesome special bulk and immunity to status, I right now personally consider Quiver Dance Poison Heal Kyogre to be the single best sweeper in the entire XY Balanced Hackmons metagame.

With the XY Balanced Hackmons metagame being filled with immensely powerful offensive threats, such as Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Latias and Mega Latios with incredible offensive Abilities like Protean and Contrary, Contrary Mega Blaziken, as well as Aerilate, Pixilate and Refrigerate users with unbelievably destructive Boombursts, I eventually decided that the wall-breaking power my Kyurem-W was contributing to my team was not as valuable as an Imposter, so I replaced Kyurem-W with what I consider to be generally the best Imposter in Balanced Hackmons, Eviolite Chansey.

I realized that my team was weak to Contrary Mega Mewtwo Y and all variations of Mega Mewtwo X, due to the fact that the Unaware wall is neutral to Psychic and weak to Fighting, while Aegislash can be easily eliminated by a well-timed V-create or Overheat. I thought of putting Unaware Lugia, a Pokémon resistant to both Psychic and Fighting, back into the team again, but not only can it not check Kyurem-B in an emergency, but it can also be heavily damaged by a Bolt Strike from Mega Mewtwo X, if not outright KO'd if Mega Mewtwo X happens to possess the Protean Ability. I then thought a bit more, and eventually came across Cresselia, a Pokémon also resistant to both Psychic and Fighting, while being neutral to Electric and Ice, and also possessing physical bulk identical to Arceus and special bulk surpassing that of the Alpha Pokémon. As such, I replaced my Arceus with a Cresselia wielding the same Ability. However, I replaced Foul Play and Will-O-Wisp with Whirlwind and King's Shield, as I realized that Foul Play and Will-O-Wisp were not very helpful, while Whirlwind was great for forcing out Pokémon that are behind a Substitute while forcing the opponent's team to take damage from entry hazards, and due to Cresselia's below-average Speed, King's Shield was great for lowering the Attack stat of certain Pokémon, such as an Extreme Speed-using Kyurem-B or a Facade-using Regigigas in a situation where Cresselia is too low on health to tank a hit from them and then use Recover, so that other Pokémon in the team like Xerneas can deal with them more easily.

It was at this time which was when I achieved immense success using this team, reaching #1 on the Balanced Hackmons ladder, getting four names in the top four spots of that ladder simultaneously, and also winning several Balanced Hackmons tournament in the Other Metas room. For a period of time, I believed that my team was completely perfect in battle, and the only distance it stood away from complete perfection was the fact its members were missing their nicknames, while the team as a whole was missing a name. And so I sat back and observed my team, trying to identify any unique patterns or themes among the Pokémon that make up the team. In doing so, I soon saw a strong connection between my team and the Moon, as included in this team were 1. Cresselia the Lunar Pokémon, a member of the lunar duo and a Pokémon basically designed after the crescent Moon itself; 2. two users of the move Moonblast; as well as 3. one Pokémon that knows Dark Void, the signature move of Darkrai, the embodiment of the new moon and the other member of the lunar duo. Additionally, included in this team was Kyogre, the Sea Basin Pokémon, enabling this team to draw further connection with the Moon, which is responsible for controlling the tides on Earth. In response to such, I decided to nickname the members of this team after gods and goddesses of the Moon from different cultures, leaving this team's only distance from perfection being its lack of a name. Since I personally see Kyogre as being the single most important member of this team, being its only sweeper and primary win condition after all, I tried to come up with a name for the team that reflects the power of the King of the Seas itself, and with the team's connection with the Moon in mind, I soon came up with "Mare Tranquillitatis ", the name of a location on the Moon, which in Latin means "Sea of Tranquility". Though Mare Tranquillitatis is not an actual sea, in that it contains no water, I nonetheless saw that the simple inclusion of the word "sea" in Latin in the team's name was enough to do justice in drawing reference to the titanic, ocean-reigning leviation that sits at the center of this team. Additionally, I also found Mare Tranquillitatis to be an especially fitting name for this team, as "tranquil" is the best word I can think of when I try to picture the embodiment of the crescent Moon itself alongside the embodiment of the sea itself together.

However, I soon realized that my belief that my team was completely perfect was incorrect, as it had trouble against Spooky Plate-carrying Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Gengar that knew Dark Void, Shell Smash, Judgment and Secret Sword, as it was completely immune to being revenge-killed by Chansey, was able to vaporize Cresselia with an Unaware-ignoring super effective Judgment, could use Xerneas as complete setup fodder, put Ho-Oh to sleep with Dark Void before overcoming it, and the only ways the team could stop it was with either a well-played Kyogre or by switching Aegislash into a predicted Shell Smash before using Encore. In an attempt to address this problem, I thought of putting either an Aerilate Rayquaza or a Refrigerate Kyurem-B in the team over Chansey, which, as unbelievably useful as it was, also happened to be most replaceable member of the team. I opted for Aerilate Rayquaza, since I recalled that the Pokémon I most commonly needed to use Chansey to revenge-kill was Contrary Mega Blaziken, due to its ability to KO Aegislash and Cresselia with one and two hits respectively with V-create, and Aerilate Rayquaza was able to revenge-kill this Pokémon very comfortably even after a V-create boost or two, with its powerful Sky Plate, Aerilate, and Same Type Attack Bonus-boosted Fake Out followed by Extreme Speed, whereas Refrigerate Kyurem-B would not be able to revenge-kill the Blaze Pokémon. Additionally, Aerilate Rayquaza was also able to revenge-kill Mega Mewtwo X with ease, provided its type was not changed by Protean of course, which was very nice. Upon the very thought of putting Rayquaza in this team, I was very excited, as despite how incredibly much I love this Pokémon aesthetically, with it even being my second favorite Pokémon ever until the release of Pokémon Black and White, I have never built a successful team containing this Pokémon in any metagame ever since an ADV Ubers team I made way back in 2006. In addition to that, the inclusion of both Rayquaza and Ho-Oh in the same team was extremely awesome in my eyes, due to the way such draws reference to the Chinese duality of the dragon and the phoenix, so in acknowledgement of that, I also decided to change both Rayquaza and Ho-Oh to their shiny sprites, while changing Aegislash to its normal-colored sprite in order to not steal attention away from the magnificent-looking dragon and phoenix in the team. Upon witnessing the heavenly presence of Rayquaza and Ho-Oh in their shiny forms gracing Mare Tranquillitatis with their glory, I even thought of renaming this team and all of its members in order to remove all connections with the moon while drawing attention to the Chinese duality of the dragon and the phoenix, but unfortunately, I soon had to scrap that idea, because...

...while Rayquaza enabled the team to handle Shell Smash Mega Gengar far more easily, its replacement of Chansey created far more problems than it solved. Firstly, the team became far, far weaker to Protean Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Latias and Mega Latios, as not only was Chansey far better at revenge-killing them than Rayquaza was, but Chansey was oftentimes needed to deal with them, since those Pokémon could often overcome Cresselia with their unbelievably destructive attacks. And secondly, the inclusion of Rayquaza in this team also meant that the opponent was able to Imposter my Rayquaza with their Chansey or Blissey, costing me huge amounts of momentum by forcing me to deal with an unbelievably bulky and hard-hitting dragon which only Aegislash in my team could wall. Realizing that Aerilate Rayquaza was not a viable solution to my team's problem, I looked for other solutions... until I eventually came up with a way to increase my team's chances of beating Shell Smash Mega Gengar, that being replacing my Ho-Oh's Safety Goggles with a Lum Berry so that it can take one Dark Void before putting Mega Gengar to sleep with Spore or simply smashing it to burning pieces with V-create, while also replacing Rayquaza with a Spooky Plate-holding Imposter Blissey. Now, my team was still a bit weak to Shell Smash Mega Gengar, as it requires Ho-Oh not having used up its Lum Berry by the time Mega Gengar shows up, my Blissey winning a Speed-tie against Mega Gengar in order to beat it, or successfully overcoming it with a well-played Kyogre... but at least my team's chances of beating the Shadow Pokémon has become significantly higher than the point before Rayquaza's presence in the team, while sacrificing nowhere near as much as the team did while Rayquaza was in it.

Much later, I also changed Xerneas to its shiny sprite, upon seeing just how cool it looked.

Last edited by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 29 Sep - 8:08; edited 4 times in total

Clan Leader

Re: ☽Mare Tranquillitatis☾ (Balanced Hackmons, #1, #2, #3 AND #4 simultaneously)

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 17 Aug - 9:51

A closer look at the team:

Khonsu (Ho-Oh) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Turboblaze
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Spore
    - Stealth Rock
    - V-create

Wearing the name of the Egyptian God of the Moon, the rainbow phoenix makes its fourth appearance in my six Rate My Team threads so far, making it the single most commonly-featured Pokémon in all of my Rate My Team threads thus far. But despite the sheer number of times I have used this Pokémon in numerous different metagames in the past, in both teams featured in Rate My Team threads and otherwise, not once before had the use of this Pokémon made me as proud as it does in Mare Tranquillitatis. For rather than utilizing a bog standard moveset for Ho-Oh in the respective metagame, as I have been doing in almost every instance in which I have used the Rainbow Pokémon in the past, my use of the Fire/Flying-type Pokémon in this team and metagame is that of a unique and trademark moveset I personally invented. Making its most fiery appearance in all of my teams so far by wielding the Turboblaze Ability, this Ho-Oh can serve a myriad of extremely useful roles, including but far from limited to: 1. Eliminating Sturdy Shedinja by using Pursuit; 2. putting the opponent's Pokémon to sleep with Spore even if they have Magic Bounce; 3. setting up Stealth Rock even against Magic Bounce Pokémon; 4. serving as a Spore user that is unhindered by Grass-type Pokémon thanks to having access to a devastatingly powerful V-create; 5. threatening Flash Fire Pokémon with its awesome Turboblaze-enhanced V-create; 6. smashing holes into teams in general thanks to V-create's sheer power and coverage; 7. easily switching into and wall any Chansey or Blissey transformed into this team's Xerneas before proceeding to threaten the opponent with a Turboblaze-enhanced Spore or Stealth Rock and gain momentum from that point; 8. switching into U-turns if necessary; 9. absorbing status once with its Lum Berry; 10. tanking even a +2 Judgment from Spooky Plate Mega Gengar before retaliating with a Spore or V-create; 11. taking special attacks in general incredibly well; and last but not least; 12. serving as a means of absorbing burns, thanks to the Rainbow Pokémon's Fire typing. This Ho-Oh is basically a slower version of the extremely common Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt + Spore and Stealth Rock Deoxys-A/Deoxys-A lead seen on the ladder, but not only is it fast enough to outrun the opponent's lead most of the time from my experience anyway, but rather than being nothing more than a one-dimensional suicide lead that contributes nothing to a team's defensive synergy besides putting a Pokémon to sleep and setting up some entry hazards, this Ho-Oh actually contributes to the team in a myriad of ways far beyond that role, as explained above.

Originally, this Pokémon held a pair of Safety Goggles rather than a Lum Berry, but I later replaced its Safety Goggles just because I saw great value in being able to take a Dark Void from Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Gengar even once, since that Pokémon can be incredibly threatening to this team. A Jolly Nature was given to this Ho-Oh as the Speed boost granted by this Nature is extremely important for outrunning the myriad of Pokémon in the Balanced Hackmons metagame with a base Speed between 90 and 100 that run a neutral Nature for Speed, especially since this Ho-Oh utilizes Spore. And finally, this Pokémon is given 248 EVs rather than 252 EVs for HP, in order to ensure that its HP is indivisible by 2, enabling it to switch into Stealth Rock twice if necessary.

I have thought about using Mega Blaziken over Ho-Oh for this Pokémon's role, as it is slightly faster, hits significantly harder with V-create and can switch into Stealth Rock four times as many times as Ho-Oh can. However, I believe that Ho-Oh overall helps the team a lot more than Mega Blaziken thanks to its far superior special bulk and defensive typing, as its resistance to Fairy, combined with its lack of weakness to Thousand Waves, Psystrike, Psycho Boost as well as the attacks of Aerilate Pokémon are all incredible advantages in my opinion.

Tsukuyomi (Aegislash) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Prankster
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Encore
    - Parting Shot
    - Recover
    - Topsy-Turvy

Mare Tranquillitatis's second member, named after the Shinto God of the Moon, serves as one of the most important lines of defense against many offensive threats in the Balanced Hackmons metagame thanks to its Prankster Ability combined with its amazing defensive typing and use of great support moves. Possessing a resistance to Flying, Fairy and Ice, Aegislash can easily switch into the Fake Outs, Extreme Speeds and Boombursts of Aerilate, Pixilate and Refrigerate Pokémon, before lowering the opponent's Pokémon's offensive stats with a Prankster Parting Shot and then switching out to Xerneas, which can take Aerilate, Pixilate and Refrigerate attacks much more comfortably after the opponent's Pokémon's offensive stats have both been lowered by one stage. In general, the Royal Sword Pokémon's Prankster Parting Shot possesses a myriad of utility, as in addition to lowering the opponent's Pokémon's offensive stats while switching out on the same turn, this move can also be used for scouting, safely activating Kyogre's Toxic Orb if the opponent switches on the same turn as when Parting Shot is selected (activating Kyogre's Toxic Orb as soon as possible in a battle is ideal since this Pokémon provides an excellent means of absorbing status once it is poisoned. However, one should also be careful of when to send it out the first time, since its Toxic Orb will never activate if it gets hit by a well-timed Knock Off or move that induces some other status effect as soon as it appears the first time), and very interestingly and importantly, forcing the opponent to switch out their Pokémon if it happens to have Magic Bounce.

While Magic Bounce in Balanced Hackmons is often seen as a means of taking advantage of the opponent's Parting Shot by switching the Magic Bounce Pokémon into the Parting Shot only to get a free switch and possibly activate a Poison Heal or Magic Guard Pokémon's Toxic Orb (or Flame Orb in the latter's case), there are many situations in which hitting a Magic Bounce Pokémon with Parting Shot actually benefits the Parting Shot user. One of such is in instances when the opponent uses a set-up sweeper that has the Magic Bounce Ability, as Aegislash firing a Prankster Parting Shot at such a Pokémon will force it to switch out and waste all of its stat boosts. And another situation makes use of the fact that in the Balanced Hackmons metagame, many people's Magic Bounce Pokémon also happens to be their Defog user, and after this team's Ho-Oh and Xerneas have set up some entry hazards, one can actually take advantage of the opponent's Defog user's Magic Bounce Ability by forcing it to switch out with Aegislash's Prankster Parting Shot after it has taken damage by switching into the entry hazards, but before it can successfully remove those entry hazards... and then if the opponent wants to send in their Magic Bounce Pokémon to use Defog later on in the match, that Pokémon must take damage from entry hazards again, in which case one can force them out with Aegislash's Parting Shot again or threaten to KO them with a different Pokémon. In this way, Aegislash's Parting Shot has utility in this team not only for defensive and scouting purposes, but it is also a very effective means of preserving the entry hazards that its teammates Ho-Oh and Xerneas set up. Another very notable thing to point out in regards to Aegislash's Parting Shot relates to the Royal Sword Pokémon's Ghost typing, the fact that Rapid Spin is this team's means of removing entry hazards, as well as the fact that this team's Rapid Spinner possesses the Magic Bounce Ability. Once this team's Xerneas starts setting up Spikes, and the opponent discovers that it has Magic Bounce, they will more than likely switch to their Imposter, which transforms into Xerneas, before attempting to remove the entry hazards on their field with Rapid Spin. When that happens, simply switch to Aegislash to block the Rapid Spin, before firing a Parting Shot at the opponent's Xerneas-transformed Chansey or Blissey in order to force it out before it can set up any Spikes.

Encore is another move of Aegislash's that possesses great utility, being able to lock dangerous sweepers into their setup moves if Aegislash switches into them on the turn when they use such a move, or lock the opponent's powerful wall-breaker into a move that is not very effective against Aegislash in order to force it to switch, or sometimes even Life Orb-stall them if they happen to be holding a Life Orb. In some desperate lategame situations, Encore can even be used to lock the opponent's powerful wall-breaker into a Fire or Water-type move such as V-create or Steam Eruption, which knocks out Aegislash, only to allow Kyogre to come in and safely set up for a sweep. Topsy-turvy is a great move to end the sweep of set-up sweepers, including any Imposters which may have happened to overcome this team's Kyogre with a lucky and well-timed critical hit, and Recover is a self-explanatory move for a defensive Pokémon like this one.

I have thought about replacing Aegislash with Registeel, which also possesses the Steel typing while being bulkier on both sides and lacking a weakness to Dark and Ghost-type moves. However, I nonetheless chose to stick with Aegislash as the fact that it possesses an immunity rather than a weakness to Fighting type moves is extremely important in my opinion due to the ubiquity of Mega Mewtwo X in this metagame, and the fact that Aegislash possesses an immunity rather than a mere resistance to Normal-type moves like the Extreme Speed of Belly Drum Slaking, the Facade of Poison Heal Regigigas, and by far most importantly, the Endeavor of Shedinja is very nice too.

Aegislash was given a Bold Nature due to how frequently this Pokémon has to take Aerilate, Pixilate or Refrigerate Fake Outs and Extreme Speeds, as well as the physical moves Knock Off, Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows. It was given a Lum Berry since it often, from my experience, finds itself crippled by various status-inducing moves used by wall-breakers, like Steam Eruption, Sacred Fire and No Guard Zap Cannon.

Anumati (Blissey) (F) @ Spooky Plate
    Ability: Imposter
    Bold Nature
    - Defog
    - Final Gambit
    - Heal Bell
    - Soft-Boiled

In the Balanced Hackmons metagame, there is an unnamed law, according to which the less stall-oriented the metagame is, and the more powerful offensive threats there are in the metagame, the more useful Imposters are. Though I did not see much use for an Imposter in BW2 Balanced Hackmons, it is undeniable that with the introduction of the Ability Protean as well as Pokémon with incredible offensive capabilities such as Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Latias, Mega Latios and Mega Blaziken, Imposters have become a lot more necessary in the XY Balanced Hackmons metagame, hence why I have opted to use one in Mare Tranquillitatis. Named after the Hindu Goddess of the Moon, this team's Imposter was originally an Eviolite Chansey, but I changed it to a Spooky Plate Blissey as I saw how incredibly weak to Shell Smash Mega Gengar this team is, having to rely on smart plays and several flimsy methods to soft-check it. Though Spooky Plate Imposter Blissey needs to Speed-tie with a Mega Gengar that has boosted with Shell Smash in order to beat it, having an Imposter that possesses a 50% chance of overcoming Mega Gengar in addition to all of this team's other methods of playing around it gives this team an overall decent chance of beating it. Having to use Spooky Plate Blissey instead of Eviolite Chansey, the loss in bulk is significant and unfortunate, but not as bad as one would think since in reality, the odds of an Imposter Chansey in Balanced Hackmons having its Eviolite removed by Knock Off are actually quite high from my experience, and after a Chansey has lost its Eviolite, it is not as bulky as Blissey.

Anyway, you all know how an Imposter in Balanced Hackmons works: it can switch into, transform into, and copy the stat boosts of any offensive Pokémon, overwhelm the vast majority of them thanks to the Imposter's far superior HP stat, and then proceed to fight against the opponent's team with an incredibly bulky version of the opponent's offensive Pokémon. Additionally, Imposters can also transform into the opponent's defensive Pokémon in order to heal or utilize some moves like Defog, Aromatherapy or Heal Bell if the team really needs such a move to be used. This Blissey is this team's primary method of handling many offensive threats in the Balanced Hackmons metagame that are too powerful for even this team's Prankster Aegislash and Unaware Cresselia to handle, such as Contrary Mega Blaziken, various destructively powerful Protean users, as well as Boomburst users that happen to be able to threaten Aegislash well, such as Aerilate Mega Charizard Y.

The four moves this Blissey knows will generally not have the chance to be used due to this Pokémon's Imposter Ability, but never forget that if Blissey switches into another Pokémon with the Imposter Ability, a Pokémon with the Illusion Ability, or a Pokémon behind a Substitute, it will not transform into the opponent's Pokémon, and thus will be able to use its four moves, the most notable of such being Defog and Heal Bell, two incredible support moves that unfortunately cannot fit anywhere else in this team. If the opponent happens to use a team which spams multiple layers of entry hazards while having Aegislash as their Spin-blocker (just like Mare Tranquillitatis itself!), and repeatedly uses Aegislash to block Xerneas's Rapid Spin, then the only way to easily clear one's own field of such hazards would be to have Blissey use either its own Defog, or the Defog of a Pokémon it Imposters (though do note that it is extremely unlikely for a hazard-stacking team to actually have a Defog user). And if Mare Tranquillitatis's members happen to get crippled by many status effects, then it would be extremely beneficial to have Blissey cure the team with Heal Bell (though do note that Heal Bell will cure Kyogre of its poisoning as well, so be prepared to find an opportunity to reactivate its Toxic Orb afterward). Soft-Boiled is for healing, while Final Gambit is only ever to be used in extremely desperate situations to KO a Pokémon that is threatening the team incredibly.

It should also be noted that if one desperately needs to use one of Blissey's four moves, which will almost always be either its Defog or its Heal Bell, then by far the easiest and most likely method to actually send Blissey into the battlefield without having it transform into the opponent's Pokémon is to send it into the opponent's Imposter after it has transformed into one of the following three members of Mare Tranquillitatis: Aegislash, Cresselia, and Xerneas, though do note that in the case of an Aegislash-transformed Chansey or Blissey, it can easily use Parting Shot on the turn when Blissey is switched into it before sending out a Pokémon that threatens a non-transformed Blissey, although one can always predict that by switching Xerneas into the Parting Shot before getting a free switch to Blissey. Unlike Ho-Oh and Kyogre, which can put Blissey to sleep with Spore and Dark Void respectively, Aegislash, Cresselia and Xerneas cannot threaten Blissey at all, and Xerneas's Spikes can even be removed by Blissey using a simple Defog, so the opponent's Imposter transforming into one of the aforementioned three Pokémon presents the perfect opportunity for Blissey to come in to use Defog or Heal Bell.

Although it is incredibly rare for Blissey to make use of any of its stats other than its HP, it is given a Bold Nature just to improve its ability to take physical attacks if it doesn't happen to transform into another Pokémon, since without transforming, it does not utilize any of its offensive stats, while it already takes special attacks well enough without a Nature that increases its Special Defense.

Artemis (Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
    Ability: Unaware
    Bold Nature
    - Gastro Acid
    - King's Shield
    - Recover
    - Whirlwind

The embodiment of the crescent Moon, named after the Greek Goddess of the Moon, is Mare Tranquillitatis's Unaware wall, chosen for its incredible bulk on both sides combined with its pure Psychic typing, which makes it, in my opinion, better than any other Pokémon for walling the extremely common Contrary Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y. It can also wall many Poison Heal sweepers including the infamous Regigigas and Kyogre (provided it uses Spore instead of Dark Void like the one in this team) and use Gastro Acid to threaten them with, ironically, their own Toxic Orb, while wearing a pair of Safety Goggles to protect itself from Spore. Recover is completely self-explanatory for an Unaware wall, while Whirlwind serves multiple purposes. The first of which is to force out set-up sweepers that hide behind a Substitute, since Cresselia has no way of doing anything to them otherwise unless it opts to run an offensive attack, which can only ever be situationally useful due to the Lunar Pokémon's poor offensive stats. The second is, as strange as it sounds, to help against sweepers that possess the Magic Bounce Ability. For example, say the opponent has a Shell Smash Mega Mewtwo Y with Magic Bounce, and Cresselia is sent in against it, as the user of Mare Tranquillitatis cannot know the opponent's Mega Mewtwo Y's Ability right from the start. Since it would be dangerous to switch Cresselia out from Mega Mewtwo Y after it has set up with Shell Smash, due to the risk of having a teammate hit extremely hard or get KO'd on the switch, while Cresselia is the only one that can stay in against Mega Mewtwo Y thanks to its Unaware Ability, then the solution at this point would be to have Cresselia pseudo-Haze itself out with Whirlwind, switch it back into Mega Mewtwo Y, Recover, use Whirlwind again, and repeat, until Aegislash is dragged out, at which point it can then force the opponent's Mega Mewtwo Y out with a Prankster Parting Shot. And a third very notable purpose that Whirlwind serves is to rack up damage on the opponent's team using the entry hazards set up by Ho-Oh and Xerneas. Though sweeping with Kyogre is Mare Tranquillitatis's primary win condition, setting up entry hazards before proceeding to spam Whirlwind with Cresselia can also be a very nice secondary win condition, especially against offensive teams whose members lack recovery.

Finally, King's Shield seems like an extremely bizarre choice, especially since lowering the opponent's Attack does absolutely nothing to Cresselia's benefit, since Cresselia's own Unaware Ability will ignore the drop in the opponent's Pokémon's Attack stat anyway. The primary purpose of King's Shield is actually in direct response to Cresselia's low Speed: since it will almost always have to use Recover on a turn only after it has already been attacked, Cresselia generally must always keep itself at or close to full health before switching out, or else it risks getting KO'd by a hit on the switch followed by another hit on the very next turn from something it is supposed to wall. For example, this Cresselia walls Poison Heal Regigigas as it takes barely less than 50% from Facade, but if Cresselia switches out while it has, say, 70% health remaining, then the next time Regigigas comes in, it can simply hit Cresselia on the switch with Facade, before finishing it off with a second Facade on the next turn before the Psychic-type Pokémon can Recover. While keeping Cresselia at high health throughout a match is easy to say, it can be very difficult against a skilled trainer who knows how to apply pressure effectively. As such, this is where King's Shield helps: Say a Cresselia at 70% health switches into a Regigigas's Facade. At this point, instead of foddering Cresselia, one can use King's Shield to halve Regigigas's Attack, before switching out to Xerneas, which can now wall Regigigas and even set up Spikes on it. The same can be done against some other powerful physical attackers like Refrigerate Kyurem-B and Protean Mega Mewtwo X too. By crippling physical attackers via King's Shield, one can even do amazing things like foddering Cresselia against the opponent's -2 Attack physical attacker, before proceeding to turn the opponent's physical attacker into setup bait for Kyogre. Also, in addition to the aforementioned, King's Shield can even be used to deliberately raise the Attack stat of the opponent's Contrary Pokémon, most notably Mega Blaziken and Mega Mewtwo X, for one purpose: to increase the destructive power of Blissey when it comes in to Imposter the opponent's Pokémon after Cresselia has been foddered.

A Bold Nature was given to Cresselia in order to guarantee that it takes less than 50% from Poison Heal Regigigas's non-critical hit Facade, and also to help against Refrigerate Kyurem-B in general.

Luna (Kyogre) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Modest Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Moonblast
    - Quiver Dance
    - Water Spout

Now, we come upon the center, sole sweeper, and primary win condition of this team - the one that simultaneously harnesses both the dark side of the Moon with Dark Void, as well as the light of the Moon with Moonblast. Named after the Roman Goddess of the Moon, the King of the Seas itself fulfils its role in the calm sea of Mare Tranquillitatis as an incredibly awesome and powerful sweeper with the Poison Heal moveset Adrian Marin invented, being the single best sweeper the Balanced Hackmons metagame has to offer in my opinion. As a set-up sweeper, it fears neither Unaware walls nor Imposters, due to its access to Dark Void (which is chosen over Spore for its ability to put Safety Goggles-wearing and Grass-type Pokémon such as Mega Venusaur to sleep, as unlike Ho-Oh, Kyogre cannot easily threaten Grass-type Pokémon), inability to be put to sleep in return, as well as its constant recovery with Poison Heal, which any Chansey or Blissey Impostering this Kyogre will lack, and even Encore and/or Topsy-turvy-using Pranksters have trouble against this Kyogre due to the threat of Dark Void. And after a Quiver Dance or two, the Sea Basin Pokémon can outrun pretty much the entire metagame barring Prankster and priority, while its XY Balanced Hackmons-transcendingly infamous Water Spout attack becomes so astronomically powerful that it will instantly destroy any Pokémon that does not resist the move or possess the Ability Unaware, Storm Drain, Water Absorb or Dry Skin, with the exception of Sturdy Shedinja. Moonblast is Kyogre's coverage move, mainly serving the purpose of super effectively hitting the myriad of Dragon-type Pokémon that resist Water Spout, most notably Giratina-A, Rayquaza, Kyurem-B, Kyurem-W, Mega Latias and Mega Latios, but it can also serve to destroy Yveltal and Mega Mewtwo X if Kyogre happens to be at low enough health such that it cannot deal significant damage to them with Water Spout. Moonblast's 30% chance of lowering the target's Special Attack is also incredibly useful for overcoming Imposters, as since Kyogre will be attacking its Imposter a lot more often with Moonblast than it will be attacked in return thanks to Kyogre's ability to put its Imposter to sleep combined with Kyogre's inability to be put to sleep in return, Kyogre will have a far higher chance of lowering its Imposter's Special Attack by several stages with repeated Moonblasts than the opposite happening, and this itself is very useful for preventing the opposing Chansey or Blissey from raising its Special Attack too high, as after enough boosts, it will be able to knock out Kyogre in a single Moonblast if it happens to score a critical hit.

Although Mare Tranquillitatis may, from a superficial perspective, appear to possess a defense that is extremely hard to penetrate, having a very bulky Prankster that knows Encore, Parting Shot and Topsy-turvy, an Imposter, an incredibly sturdy Unaware wall as well as a quite bulky Magic Bounce wall with an incredible defensive typing, even the combination of the aforementioned defensive Pokémon can be gradually cracked under the pressure of incredibly powerful offensive teams, especially with their Protean wall-breakers, but there is one Pokémon in Mare Tranquillitatis which ultimately prevents this team from repeatedly losing just because its defensive walls get gradually overwhelmed by offensive wall-breakers, and that Pokémon is, ironically, by far the most offensive member of the team, Kyogre. As the adage goes, [URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_best_defense_is_a_good_offense']the best defense is a good offense[/URL], and in Pokémon, it simply cannot be more true in my opinion. Protean Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, Mega Latias, Mega Latios, Contrary Mega Blaziken, Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Gengar with Dark Void and Shell Smash, Poison Heal Regigigas, and Boomburst users that are able to threaten Aegislash with a coverage move may be able to repeatedly pressure this team's defensive Pokémon and eventually crack through them, but exactly what good would such offensive threats do if Kyogre manages to come in and set up a Quiver Dance or two before the aforementioned Pokémon even get the chance to enter the battlefield, which Kyogre can easily find the chance to do with the support of this team's Parting Shot Aegislash? Such Pokémon, despite all the offensive power that they possess, would simply be outrun and washed away by Oceanic King's devastating Water Spout and Moonblast attacks, or put to sleep before being obliterated if they happen to be able to survive one hit from Kyogre (which will often be the case if Kyogre is low on health, so the turn spent using Dark Void is also valuable for giving this Pokémon more Poison Heal recovery).

Aside from sweeping, this Kyogre also serves some other nice purposes, such as tanking some special attacks such as Refrigerate Kyurem-W's Boomburst (watch out for Bolt Strike though), Spooky Plate Mega Gengar's Judgment (it can even tank a +2 hit from that move if need be, before putting Mega Gengar to sleep with Dark Void) and the attacks of opposing Poison Heal Kyogre; walling any Imposters which happen to transform into this team's Ho-Oh; as well as being able to absorb status moves, most notably the Nuzzle of some Darmanitan-Zen, the Zap Cannon and Inferno of some No Guard Pokémon like Mega Mewtwo Y (though make sure to lower such a Pokémon's offensive stats with Aegislash's Parting Shot first, as otherwise Zap Cannon will seriously hurt Kyogre) as well as the Dark Void of a Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Gengar (which no other member of this team is absolutely immune to).

As walling a Chansey or Blissey transformed into Mare Tranquillitatis's Ho-Oh and absorbing status both require Kyogre having its Toxic Orb activated first, it cannot be stressed how important it is to activate the Water-type Pokémon's item as early as possible in a match. However, at the same time, it also cannot be stressed how important it is to only activate Kyogre's Toxic Orb if it is safe to do so - in other words, on a turn when it is extremely unlikely that Kyogre will be affected by a different status effect or have its Toxic Orb removed by Knock Off, and the success at the art of finding this early free turn to activate Kyogre's Toxic Orb is one of the most important requirements for success not only in using Mare Tranquillitatis, but in Balanced Hackmons in general. Generally, one of the most common ways in which Kyogre's Toxic Orb can be safely activated early-game is if this team's Ho-Oh either moves second on a turn and puts a Pokémon to sleep with Spore, or the opponent switches a Pokémon into Ho-Oh's Spore and then that Pokémon gets put to sleep. On the following turn, unless the opponent's Pokémon uses Sleep Talk, which is incredibly unlikely, the opponent has two options: Either leave their sleeping Pokémon in (in which case it will have a 100% chance of remaining asleep for that turn), or switch out, and in both cases, Kyogre can be safely switched in on that turn to have its Toxic Orb activated. The second way to quickly and safely activate Kyogre's Toxic Orb is by hitting a Pokémon of the opponent's on the switch with Aegislash's Parting Shot, before switching to Kyogre immediately after. The third method also involves Aegislash, but utilizes the move Encore instead of Parting Shot: After using Encore to lock the opponent's Pokémon into a set-up move or an attack which deals minimal damage to Kyogre and cannot inflict a status effect, don't use Parting Shot, but hard switch to Kyogre to activate its item - if you use Parting Shot, there is the risk of the opponent switching to a Magic Bounce Pokémon on that turn, and thus destroying your opportunity to get Kyogre poisoned. Another method involves sending Kyogre into an Imposter which has transformed into this team's Aegislash, Cresselia or Xerneas, as none of those Pokémon can do anything to disrupt Toxic Orb's activation. Another riskier, but sometimes nonetheless necessary way of activating Toxic Orb involves simply switching in Kyogre on a turn when the opponent's Pokémon is almost guaranteed to not use Knock Off or a status-inducing move, and finally, one can guarantee Toxic Orb's activation by sending Kyogre into a Pokémon which it outruns and threatens to KO with one of its two attacks (though do note that "putting the opponent's Pokémon to sleep with Dark Void" is no substitute for this, not only because of the 20% chance of the move missing, but also because of the threat of the opponent switching to a Magic Bounce Pokémon).

Finally, it should also be mentioned that an opposing Chansey or Blissey taking the form of this team's Ho-Oh or Xerneas serves as an excellent setup bait for this Kyogre (though only if one does not mind the opponent getting away with a hazard-free field in the latter's case).

This Kyogre was given a Modest Nature for a very straightforward purpose: Maximizing its firepower.

Mani (Xerneas) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover
    - Spikes

The legendary mascot of Pokémon X, often regarded as the single best and most versatile Pokémon in the entire Balanced Hackmons metagame, is Mare Tranquillitatis's final member. Fittingly for a Pokémon inspired by Norse mythology, it is named after the Norse God of the Moon. Possessing a coveted immunity to Dragon, a resistance to Dark and Fighting as well as only two rather uncommon weaknesses, this shiny stag makes a great Magic Bounce wall, Rapid Spinner and Spikes stacker. With its powerful Same Type Attack Bonus Moonblast, it can pressure Giratina-A, one of the most common Ghost-type Pokémon in the metagame, making it difficult for this Pokémon to block Xerneas's Rapid Spin. As an added bonus, because Giratina-A also happens to be one of the most commonly-used Magic Bounce Pokémon and Defog users in Balanced Hackmons, commonly possessing both of those attributes at once, Xerneas often finds itself facing very little resistance when stacking its Spikes, as Giratina-A is often reluctant to switch into Xerneas, especially after the entry hazards have already been set. Recover is, of course, self-explanatory for a wall, giving it the longevity to last against many threats. Though Xerneas can be overwhelmed by the power of many wall-breakers, such as Protean and Boomburst users, it can actually wall many of them quite comfortably after they have had their offensive stats lowered by Aegislash's Parting Shot. Xerneas also hard-counters almost all Yveltal, Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gyarados sets, although pretty much always at the cost of its Leftovers, as the aforementioned Dark-type Pokémon almost always use Knock Off. With the splendid Magic Bounce Ability, Xerneas can, of course, reflect entry hazards, Spore, Dark Void, Leech Seed and Parting Shot, giving it awesome general utility as it can indefinitely wall any Pokémon which relies almost entirely on status moves and hazards to do their job, provided such a Pokémon does not have Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, of course.

Xerneas was given a Timid Nature as I believe that allowing it to outrun other Pokémon with similar Speed stats is more helpful than a buff to any of the Fairy-type Pokémon's other stats.

Replays (note: many of these replays have Chansey instead of Blissey as well as Safety Goggles instead of Lum Berry on Ho-Oh and Aegislash, but even in such cases the team is close enough to the one presented in this thread anyway):

VS. MJB (my week 1 opponent in the Other Metagames Premier League)
    VS. Adrian Marin (an extremely skilled trainer, and my week 2 opponent in the Other Metagames Premier League)
    VS. Adrian Marin (again)
    VS. Adrian Marin (again)
    VS. Flint (a very skilled trainer)
    VS. Heisenerg (a very skilled trainer. This is the final battle of a Balanced Hackmons tournament in the Other Metas room)
    VS. Heisenerg (again)
    VS. Heisenerg (again)
    VS. Heisenerg (again)
    VS. Heisenerg (again)
    VS. Kit Kasai
    VS. Asterat
    VS. CactusCacti
    VS. CactusCacti (again)
    VS. CactusCacti (again)
    VS. CactusCacti (again)
    VS. CactusCacti (again)
    VS. Lcass (a very skilled trainer who had numerous names at the top of the Balanced Hackmons ladder at the same time at one point)
    VS. Lcass (again)
    VS. Lcass (again)
    VS. manu 11
    VS. Snaquaza
    VS. Mamp (a skilled trainer)
    VS. Sewa (a skilled trainer)
    VS. Sewa (again)
    VS. Sewa (again)
    VS. Sewa (again)
    VS. TheBurgerKing99
    VS. MoonDood091 (the final battle of a Balanced Hackmons tournament in the Other Metas room)
    VS. abcdeff
    VS. Assassin of Cicero
    VS. Assassin of Cicero (again)
    VS. Swami
    VS. Swami (again)
    VS. Guy Swas
    VS. NameGoeaInThisBox
    VS. jrm115
    VS. Piggeh (a moderator of my glorious clan, Heavenly Dragon Gods)
    VS. Piggeh (again, this time in a mirror match)
    VS. Spiral Core
    VS. Bossness
    VS. Arsenal
    VS. E4 Boss
    VS. omnisc
    VS. Dubalt 2
    VS. Tyranmex
    VS. arkeis
    VS. ghostofPasa
    VS. WaldoTest
    VS. SWTOR
    VS. Swami
    VS. m709
    VS. mtapro
    VS. BlackDragonSlayer
    VS. unfixable

Importable:
    Khonsu (Ho-Oh) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Turboblaze
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Spore
    - Stealth Rock
    - V-create

Tsukuyomi (Aegislash) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Prankster
    Bold Nature
    - Encore
    - Parting Shot
    - Recover
    - Topsy-Turvy

Anumati (Blissey) (F) @ Spooky Plate
    Ability: Imposter
    Bold Nature
    - Defog
    - Final Gambit
    - Heal Bell
    - Soft-Boiled

Artemis (Cresselia) (F) @ Safety Goggles
    Ability: Unaware
    Bold Nature
    - Gastro Acid
    - King's Shield
    - Recover
    - Whirlwind

Luna (Kyogre) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Modest Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Moonblast
    - Quiver Dance
    - Water Spout

Mani (Xerneas) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Moonblast
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover
    - Spikes

Last edited by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 29 Sep - 8:10; edited 7 times in total

Clan Leader

Re: ☽Mare Tranquillitatis☾ (Balanced Hackmons, #1, #2, #3 AND #4 simultaneously)

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 17 Aug - 9:52

Threat List:

: The method by which this team deals with Imposter Chansey, of course, depends on which member of the team it Imposters.

If it Imposters Ho-Oh, then it is usually a Chansey lead that transforms into Ho-Oh before turn 1, in which case Ho-Oh will be able to put Chansey to sleep, having to use up its Lum Berry at worst. If Ho-Oh wins the Speed-tie and puts Chansey to sleep first, it should then set up Stealth Rock before switching out to Cresselia, at which point the opponent's Chansey will try go for a Spore, only to fail due to the Lunar Pokémon's Safety Goggles. Upon witnessing Spore failing, Chansey will then go for either Stealth Rock or V-create, at which point Kyogre can be safely switched in to have its Toxic Orb activated, before proceeding to force Chansey out. If Ho-Oh at the very beginning of the match loses the Speed-tie and uses Spore second, then the opponent will be forced to either sleep or switch on the very next turn, allowing Kyogre to safely come straight in and have its Toxic Orb activated. If Chansey Imposters Ho-Oh at any point later during the match, know that Kyogre will be always be able to wall it and even use it as setup bait as long as its Toxic Orb is activated.

If Chansey Imposters Aegislash, then the way to respond depends on Chansey's health. If Chansey has about or more than 50% of its health missing, then it will likely use Recover, in which case one should either switch to Ho-Oh or Kyogre to gain momentum; stay in with Aegislash and heal up with Recover; or switch to a weakened Blissey or Cresselia in order to heal up with Soft-Boiled or Recover, since Aegislash poses no offensive presence whatsoever. If Chansey is at or close to full health, then it is pretty much guaranteed to use Parting Shot, in which case, unless Aegislash desperately needs to spend that turn using Recover, or if there are hazards on Mare Tranquillitatis's field, one should switch to Xerneas to Magic Bounce the Parting Shot, before getting a free switch to either Ho-Oh or Kyogre to gain momentum.

In the event that Chansey Imposters Cresselia, then unless one desperately needs a weakened Chansey not to restore its health, such a situation is usually ideal, as one can switch to either Ho-Oh or Xerneas and either set up entry hazards or use Spore with Ho-Oh, taking advantage of Cresselia's complete lack of offensive presence (be careful if Ho-Oh gets hit by Gastro Acid on the switch though, as once its Turboblaze is nullified, its Spore and Stealth Rock will become reflectable by the opponent's Magic Bounce Pokémon). However, do note that if one suspects that Chansey will use Whirlwind, don't switch straight to Xerneas, as that would result in Chansey switching itself out and therefore its user gaining momentum. Also, remember that Kyogre cannot set up on a Cresselia-transformed Chansey, due to Gastro Acid.

If Chansey transforms into Kyogre, then Kyogre should put the Egg Pokémon to sleep with Dark Void before Quiver Dancing on the very next turn to ensure that it becomes faster than Chansey by the time it wakes up again, allowing Kyogre to Dark Void it again before it moves, unless Chansey spends the turn on which it wakes up using Quiver Dance, of course. Because of the free turns Kyogre can create for itself with Dark Void, combined with Chansey's inability to Dark Void Kyogre back, as well as the fact that Kyogre recovers health every turn thanks to Poison Heal, the odds are overwhelmingly high that Kyogre will, after a long struggle, eventually overcome its Imposter despite the latter's far superior bulk. But even in the event that the opponent's Chansey defeats Kyogre through a lucky critical hit (which is not very likely at all, as since Kyogre will be firing Moonblasts at Chansey far more often than the other way around, Kyogre is likely to, through Moonblast's 30% chance of reducing the target's Special Attack, keep Chansey's Special Attack low enough such that Kyogre can survive a critical hit from Chansey most of the time anyway), such is hardly the end of the world since one can just send in Aegislash and stop Chansey's sweep with a simple Topsy-turvy.

Finally, if Chansey Imposters Xerneas, then the move one should make in response depends on the status of both fields in terms of entry hazards. If both fields have more than one and the same number of layers of entry hazards on them, or if Mare Tranquillitatis's field has more layers of entry hazards than the opponent's field, then especially in the latter case, generally the best move to make in this situation would be Rapid Spin. However, if there are less layers of entry hazards on Mare Tranquillitatis's field compared to on the opposing field, especially if the former's field has no entry hazards on it at all, then generally, the ideal move to make would depend on how much health the opponent's Chansey has. If the opponent's Chansey has a lot of health remaining, then the best move would be to switch to Aegislash to block Chansey's Rapid Spin, before proceeding to force the Egg Pokémon to switch out with Parting Shot. However, if the opponent's Chansey has close to or less than half of its health remaining, then it is almost guaranteed to use Recover on the next turn, almost completely eliminating the possibility of them removing the entry hazards on their field using that turn. Unless Chansey is within the KO range of Xerneas's Moonblast, in which case one should try to win the Speed-tie and KO the opponent's Chansey, it may be ideal to either use Rapid Spin (if Mare Tranquillitatis has at least one layer of entry hazard on its field) or switch to Ho-Oh in order to threaten the opponent's Chansey with a Magic Bounce-penetrating Spore (or a V-create if the opponent is likely to switch to a Pokémon immune to Ho-Oh's Spore), followed by a Stealth Rock if that entry hazard is not up yet, and then switch to Aegislash to force Chansey out with Parting Shot.

In the event that neither Mare Tranquillitatis nor the team it is facing has any entry hazards on its field, and the opponent does not yet know that this team's Xerneas has Magic Bounce, it is often worth it to stay in and use either Recover or Moonblast while the opponent's Chansey uses Spikes, only to have it reflected back on their field, at which point one can then switch to Aegislash to block the Rapid Spin before using Parting Shot to force Chansey out. If the opponent already knows that Mare Tranquillitatis's Xerneas has Magic Bounce, then they will not use Spikes, and will instead assault Xerneas with their Imposter's Moonblast. In such a situation, do the same back to them until their Chansey has lost roughly 50% of its health, before switching to Ho-Oh while they use Recover, at which point one can then grab momentum with Spore, Stealth Rock, V-create, or a combination of the aforementioned along with switching to Aegislash and attempting to force out the opponent's still-sleeping Chansey with Parting Shot. Finally, if one is in a situation in which there is no need to care about the opponent's Xerneas-transformed Chansey clearing their field with Rapid Spin or filling Mare Tranquillitatis's field with Spikes, one can even switch to Kyogre (regardless of whether or not Toxic Orb is already activated) and use the opponent's Xerneas-transformed Chansey as setup bait.

As for non-Imposter Chansey, they are rarely a problem for Mare Tranquillitatis due to Ho-Oh's ability to threaten them with Spore and V-create, Xerneas's complete immunity to just about anything they can typically do, as well as Xerneas's ability to use them as Spikes fodder provided they do not have Magic Bounce.

: Almost every single even remotely commonly-used Giratina-A set in Balanced Hackmons is countered by Magic Bounce Xerneas - the only time one should even consider switching to any Pokémon other than Xerneas upon seeing a Giratina-A is if it has Magic Guard + Flame Orb, in which case switching to Kyogre, assuming its Toxic Orb has already been activated of course, would be ideal in order to absorb the Psycho Shift. When dealing with Giratina-A with this team's Xerneas, aside from being careful of the exceedingly common Magic Bounce (and thus one should think twice before trying to set up Spikes on it), the only other thing one really needs to watch out for is Prankster Destiny Bond. All variants of Giratina-A also more or less tend to be put under immense pressure by this team's Kyogre.

: Gets trapped and destroyed by Ho-Oh's Turboblaze Pursuit. Though with that said, never try to directly switch Ho-Oh into Shedinja, as the Rainbow Pokémon getting hit by an Endeavor on the switch followed by a priority move on the next turn will result in a fainted Ho-Oh, and if the opponent also has an extremely sturdy Defog user or Magic Bounce Pokémon like Registeel that cannot be threatened much by Xerneas, this may make it extremely difficult, if not completely impossible to ever eliminate the opponent's Shedinja for the rest of the match. As such, when the opponent sends out a Shedinja, always switch to Aegislash first since the threat of Endeavor is huge. In order to eliminate Shedinja with Ho-Oh, always try to bring Ho-Oh in through either a double switch (for example, say Mare Tranquillitatis's Kyogre is out against a Pokémon it can easily threaten, like Darmanitan-Zen. If there are no entry hazards on the opponent's field, the odds are overwhelmingly high that the opponent will switch straight to their Shedinja to wall Kyogre, making it often safe to double switch to Ho-Oh on that turn before eliminating Shedinja with Pursuit) or with Aegislash's Parting Shot after having used Encore to lock Shedinja into a move other than Endeavor.

Fortunately though, a great number of Shedinja, for some reasons, happen to be leads, allowing them to be easily eliminated on turn 1 by Ho-Oh.

: Contrary, Poison Heal, Simple and Moody variants are completely walled by Cresselia, and Blissey can also help in case any of the aforementioned variants of Mega Mewtwo X overwhelm Cresselia somehow, while any Mega Mewtwo X with Magic Bounce as well as a setup move such as Shell Smash or Swords Dance have their stat boosts wasted as they get forced out by Aegislash's Parting shot, or simply get overwhelmed by Blissey, and Blissey as well as the Encore and Topsy-turvy of Aegislash both handle any Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Mewtwo X that utilizes setup moves.

However, Protean and No Guard variants are an incredible pain, often requiring a combination of Aegislash's Parting Shot/Encore, Xerneas, Blissey, and some sacrifices in order to beat. There is no way Mare Tranquillitatis, or, to my knowledge, any Balanced Hackmons team that doesn't have Sturdy Shedinja for that matter, can indefinitely wall a Protean or No Guard Mega Mewtwo X, so the way to beat it is to just temporarily hold it off with the aforementioned defensive Pokémon, before looking for an opportunity to set up with Kyogre while Mega Mewtwo X is not out, so that the next time it comes out, it will be faced with a set up Kyogre, ready to outrun the Genetic Pokémon and either put it to sleep before destroying it with a +1 Water Spout or Moonblast, or outright KO it if Kyogre has attained more than one Quiver Dance boost.

: Pretty much the same thing as Mega Mewtwo X, except it is generally more difficult to handle due to its lack of weakness to the Moonblast of Xerneas and Kyogre, as well as the fact that even its Protean set is often capable of spreading incredibly annoying burns which can cripple Aegislash, Cresselia and Blissey alike with Steam Eruption.

: Even with Thousand Arrows or Thousand Waves, Aegislash generally doesn't have much trouble switching into it, especially since Kyurem-B will need to utilize prediction in order to even hit Aegislash with a Ground-type move in the first place. After Aegislash has switched in, it can either use Encore to try to lock the Boundary Pokémon into Fake Out or ExtremeSpeed, or use Parting Shot and switch to Xerneas, which can very comfortably wall a Kyurem-B at -1 Attack. If need be, Cresselia can wall Kyurem-B quite decently too, and even halve its Attack with a King's Shield before switching out to Xerneas, at which point the Life Pokémon can then tank Kyurem-B's attacks very easily while threatening it with Moonblast or even set up Spikes on it. If necessarily, Blissey also exists to overwhelm Kyurem-B, and the Dragon/Ice-type Pokémon also generally tends to get obliterated lategame by the Moonblast of a set up Kyogre.

: Pretty much the same thing as Chansey, but can actually be harder to deal with if it holds Leftovers, as it becomes significantly harder to overcome in a Quiver Dance war with Kyogre.

: Deoxys-S are almost always leads. If they do not have Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, Xerneas completely walls them and destroys them with several Moonblasts, though do watch out for Prankster Destiny Bond. Deoxys-S that have Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt get hit extremely hard on turn 1 by Ho-Oh's V-create as they remove Ho-Oh's Lum Berry with Spore, before firing a second Spore that fails as a Safety Goggles-donning Cresselia is switched in, and then Kyogre is switched into the incoming Stealth Rock, has its Toxic Orb activated, and then puts Deoxys-S to sleep (in order to avoid being taken down by a potential Destiny Bond) before finishing it off, while all the entry hazards Deoxys-S sets up can be cleaned up later by Xerneas or if necessary, Blissey.

: Its Spooky Plate-holding Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt set with Dark Void, Shell Smash, Judgment and Secret Sword is by far the single biggest threat to Mare Tranquillitatis - it can easily come into Cresselia, Xerneas, or a Blissey transformed into something which cannot threaten it much, before threatening to use either Shell Smash or Dark Void. Generally, if such a Mega Gengar comes into one of the aforementioned Pokémon, the best Pokémon to switch to is a poisoned Kyogre. If Gengar uses Dark Void as Kyogre switches in, then Mare Tranquillitatis is in a good position as Kyogre can now threaten Mega Gengar or the rest of its user's team with Dark Void. If Mega Gengar uses Judgment on the switch, then the situation is less ideal, but Kyogre can still use Dark Void next. If Mega Gengar Shell Smashes as Kyogre switches in, then provided Kyogre is at or close to full health, it can tank a Judgment before putting the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon to sleep with Dark Void. Following that point, Mega Gengar is likely to stay in since Kyogre will be at such low health that Water Spout will barely even be scratching the Shadow Pokémon, while the Sea Basin Pokémon cannot hope to outrun Mega Gengar even if it manages to get three Quiver Dance boosts before the ghost wakes up. At that point, the best move would be to switch to Blissey, hope that Mega Gengar does not both win the Speed-tie and experience a one-turn sleep, and then obliterate the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon with its own Spooky Plate Judgment. At this point, one is also notably very likely to have won the battle itself unless the opponent has something like a Poison Heal Yveltal.

However, if Kyogre happens to not have its Toxic Orb activated before such a Mega Gengar comes in, then Mare Tranquillitatis will, unfortunately, have to sleep-fodder whichever Pokémon is the least useful at that point in the match.

If need be, a healthy Ho-Oh can also take either a Dark Void (if its Lum Berry is still intact) or a +2 Judgment from Mega Gengar before destroying the Shadow Pokémon with a Spore followed by a V-create, and Aegislash can also switch into a predicted Shell Smash and lock Mega Gengar into that move with Encore, before proceeding to use Parting Shot. If, for whatever reason, Mega Gengar stays in after the Encore, switch to Blissey and erase the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon with Judgment while also putting oneself in a very advantageous position.

If worst comes to worst, one can also simply send in Blissey against a Mega Gengar, set up or not, before hoping to Speed-tie with it and vanquish it with Judgment. And of course, it should also be noted that, at the end of the day, like with pretty much all other offensive threats, the ways to deal with Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Shell Smash Mega Gengar using Mare Tranquillitatis's various defensive Pokémon become largely unnecessary if one can set up just one Quiver Dance with this team's Kyogre before Mega Gengar even gets the chance to enter the battlefield.

There also exists a less common variant of Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt Mega Gengar, which utilizes Tail Glow instead of Shell Smash. Such Mega Gengar can be even more dangerous due to their ability to KO both Ho-Oh and Kyogre with Judgment after a single turn of setup, however such Mega Gengar, fortunately, are much rarer and also cannot set up alongside Kyogre and beat it one-on-one, due to the fact that Tail Glow does not boost the user's Speed. But of course, such Mega Gengar can also be beaten by either a Blissey that wins the Speed-tie or a Kyogre that has already set up before Mega Gengar appears. Shell Smash or Tail Glow Mega Gengar also sometimes have Magic Bounce instead of Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt, and fortunately, such Mega Gengar are far easier to deal with since a single Parting Shot from Aegislash ends their sweep, and although the Ghost/Poison-type Pokémon can always come back later for a second try, the next time it comes in could be in the face of a set up Kyogre.

Finally, two other variants of Mega Gengar besides the Shell Smash and Tail Glow ones also exist: The Perish trapping set, and the Normalize set. The former begins as a base form Gengar, which utilizes a Gengarite to Mega Evolve into Mega Gengar and gain access to Shadow Tag, an Ability which is otherwise banned from Balanced Hackmons, before utilizing a combination of a sleep-inducing move, Protect, a recovery move, and Perish Song in order to trap and eliminate walls. The Perish trapping Mega Gengar is often not much of a problem as it is often a lead that gets put to sleep and then destroyed by V-create, upon being surprised by Ho-Oh's Lum Berry. However, with that said, it can also be quite devastating against this team if played well, as it can trap and eliminate Cresselia (assuming it does not wake up and use Whirlwind before its Perish count drops to 2), Xerneas, and a Blissey Impostering something that cannot threaten Mega Gengar. However, it should not be much a problem if one plays Mare Tranquillitatis intelligently, trying to set up with Kyogre and get a sweep going as soon as possible before Mega Gengar traps and eliminates too many of the team's members.

As for the Normalize Mega Gengar, it uses Thousand Waves or another trapping move like Infestation to trap the opponent's Pokémon before giving them the Ability Normalize via Entrainment or Skill Swap to ensure that they cannot touch the Shadow Pokémon, which then proceeds to either use Perish Song like the Gengarite-utilizing Perish trapping Mega Gengar, or boost its stats with a set up move before Baton Passing those stat boosts to a different Pokémon. Some Normalize Mega Gengar even utilize Skill Swap alongside Shell Smash, Judgment and Secret Sword while holding a Spooky Plate, hoping to buy a free turn with Normalize before proceeding to set up. The Normalize Mega Gengar's Perish trapping set can be easily played around with Aegislash, which can lock Mega Gengar into one move with Encore while being unable to be trapped thanks to its Ghost typing, and cannot be hit by Judgment on the switch, ironically due to Mega Gengar's own Ability. It also cannot trap Ho-Oh or Kyogre, because if it uses its trapping move on the first turn, it gets put to sleep and then obliterated, while if it uses Skill Swap first, Ho-Oh and Kyogre can then easily switch out to Aegislash, which cannot be trapped, or if Gengar happens to be the Shell Smash set, it can then be locked into that move with Encore. Like with all other variants of Mega Gengar, besides some possible random Prankster set, it will not be a threat at all if one can set up with Kyogre before it comes in.

: Generally cannot touch Xerneas due to its lack of offensive presence, though of course, switching Xerneas into Aegislash would be a bad idea if the Steel/Ghost-type Pokémon has Prankster Parting Shot while Mare Tranquillitatis has even one layer of entry hazard on its field. If need be, both Ho-Oh and Kyogre can take advantage of Aegislash's lack of offensive presence for momentum-grabbing purposes, with the former even being able to smash through Flash Fire Aegislash with its incredibly intense Turboblaze V-create. Be careful of Prankster Aegislash's Encore and Topsy-turvy when attempting to sweep with Kyogre though, but it will generally not cause too much trouble if Kyogre is played correctly and its Dark Void is utilized well (for example, Kyogre can put Aegislash to sleep on the turn it uses Topsy-turvy, before switching out to Ho-Oh to threaten the Royal Sword Pokémon, which switches out, allowing Kyogre to come in later on in the battle when Aegislash is not out, and set up while Aegislash is still asleep and has to switch in).

: Most sets, due to their lack of offensive presence, cannot touch Xerneas at all, while Aegislash and Cresselia both easily stop its Quiver Dance or Shell Smash + Stored Power sets cold. Ho-Oh can also take advantage of many Lugia's lack of offensive presence in order to use Spore or Stealth Rock against it, and finally, Unaware Lugia cannot stop this team's Kyogre due to the Water-type Pokémon's Dark Void.

: Aegislash easily switches into its Pixilate set, before using Parting Shot, at which point it can then be comfortably dealt with by this team's own Xerneas. Xerneas's Poison Heal set is countered by Cresselia, its Prankster sets generally cannot touch Mare Tranquillitatis's own Xerneas, although they can be very annoying through their ability to impede Kyogre's sweep with Encore, Topsy Turvy, as well as the threat of Destiny Bond. However, with some smart plays, it can be played around with Dark Void. The Flame Plate or Toxic Orb-carrying Magic Guard + Psycho Shift set can be quite annoying, but generally cannot touch this team's Blissey after it Imposters the opposing Xerneas. Finally, if any team out there utilizes the exact same Xerneas moveset as the one featured in Mare Tranquillitatis, then know that it is completely walled and destroyed by this team's Ho-Oh, its Rapid Spin can be blocked by Aegislash, and the Royal Sword Pokémon can also force the Fairy-type Pokémon out with Parting Shot to prevent it from setting Spikes.

: Poison Heal Regigigas is countered by Cresselia unless it uses either Dark Void or Knock Off + Spore, neither of which is all that common, and even if they do run that set, they can still be played around thanks to Aegislash's Prankster Encore and Parting Shot, as well as its ability to absorb sleep once thanks to its Lum Berry. If Cresselia is too low on health to switch into Regigigas's Facade before using Recover, it can also opt to switch in and halve the Colossal Pokémon's Attack with King's Shield, before switching out to Xerneas, which can comfortably wall a Regigigas at -2 Attack unless it sets up with Shift Gear, in which case it can then be played around with Aegislash. Contrary and Belly Drum Regigigas are also countered by Cresselia, unless the latter has Mold Breaker, Turboblaze or Teravolt as its Ability, in which case it can be easily have its sweep ended by a simple Topsy-turvy, or even end up locked into Extreme Speed by Encore. Alternative, Blissey can also reverse the sweep of Contrary or Belly Drum Regigigas too. And finally, of course, all Regigigas barring possibly those that utilize Extreme Speed are complete non-threats if they are greeted by a set up Kyogre upon entering the battlefield.

: Pretty much the same thing as Regigigas.

: Regardless of its set, it is more or less countered by Xerneas, which can often even use its counterpart as Spikes fodder.

: Aegislash is the initial switch-in, and after coming in, it can use Parting Shot to lower Kyurem-W's offensive stats before switching out to Xerneas, which can take even a Life Orb and Refrigerate-boosted Boomburst well after Kyurem-W's Special Attack has been lowered, and then Xerneas can threaten Kyurem-W with Moonblast, use Recover, or set up Spikes. If Kyurem-W lacks Bolt Strike, it can also be turned into setup bait for Kyogre, especially after the Dragon/Ice-type Pokémon has been hit by Parting Shot. If need be, Blissey can, of course, take advantage of Kyurem-W's presence to steal all of its offensive momentum.

: More or less countered by Xerneas, and easily threatened by Kyogre.

: As its V-create is powerful enough to KO Cresselia in two hits, there is unfortunately no way to deal with Mega Blaziken, especially the Contrary set, besides using either Blissey, setting up with Kyogre while Mega Blaziken is not out, before outrunning and destroying the Fire/Fighting-type Pokémon with Water Spout, or in extremely desperate situations, taking advantage of all of Mega Blaziken's Speed boosts via V-create to lower its Speed with Aegislash's Topsy-turvy while sacrificing the Steel/Ghost-type Pokémon before a V-create, and then sending out Kyogre to threaten it.

: Pretty much a bulkier version of Aegislash as far as this Pokémon's matchup with Mare Tranquillitatis is concerned. Registeel also runs Magic Bounce + Defog far more often than Aegislash does, so double switch to Ho-Oh (or, if it is safer to do so, Aegislash) if it is running that set in order to prevent it from using Defog.

: More or less countered by Xerneas, and easily threatened by Kyogre. Aegislash can also lock it into one move with Encore if need be, while Moody sets have their stat boosts eliminated by Cresselia's Whirlwind.

: The Mold Breaker/Turboblaze/Teravolt lead variants are more or less dealt with in the same way as Deoxys-S that utilize such Abilities, while Contrary variants are walled by Cresselia. No Guard variants are the most troublesome, but can ultimately still be played around through a combination of Aegislash, Kyogre or Xerneas, or simply by letting Ho-Oh get heavily damaged and/or paralyzed by Zap Cannon before destroying it with V-create.

: More or less just a much more physically bulky, but specially frail version of Registeel as far as this Pokémon's matchup with Mare Tranquillitatis is concerned, and like Registeel, it very often utilizes Magic Bounce + Defog. There also exists some Soundproof Mega Aggron with Thousand Waves and Perish Song, but Blissey and Xerneas are the only members it can actually eliminate, since Ho-Oh and Aegislash cannot be trapped by Thousand Waves, Cresselia has Whirlwind, and as for Kyogre, if it uses Perish Song while the Sea Basin Pokémon switches in, the Water-type Pokémon can simply switch out on the very next turn, while if it uses Thousand Waves first, Kyogre can just put Mega Aggron to sleep before proceeding to Quiver Dance and then blast the Steel-type Pokémon to bits with a boosted Water Spout.

: Normally, Boomburst-using Arceus, like pretty much all Pokémon that utilize this move, can be walled and even used as Spikes bait by Xerneas after having its offensive stats lowered by Aegislash's Parting Shot. However, many Boomburst Arceus have Soundproof as their Ability, granting them an immunity to Parting Shot. Soundproof Arceus are also almost always Perish trappers that utilize Thousand Waves to trap, and can be very dangerous against Mare Tranquillitatis, though they can still be played around with a combination of switching Aegislash into a predicted Boomburst, tanking a hit from it using the immense special bulks of Ho-Oh and Kyogre before putting it to sleep, as well as setting up on it with Kyogre while it is asleep.

: Its Contrary set is completely walled by Cresselia, while its Drought set can be played around with Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Xerneas, and Aegislash's Parting Shot. If need be, Blissey can Imposter it and steal all of its offensive momentum, but when doing this, be very careful of Choice Scarf Contrary Reshiram locked into Draco Meteor though.

: Generally walled by Ho-Oh, which can put it to sleep with Spore, set up Stealth Rock on it, and smash it hard with V-create. Kyogre also eats up any Heatran that does not have Storm Drain, Water Absorb or Dry Skin as its Ability, but be extremely careful of Heatran that may possibly utilize such Abilities, especially if they are seen boldly switching into Kyogre, as such Heatran are generally designed specifically to destroy Poison Heal Kyogre with a combination of Thousand Waves and Gastro Acid.

: Just like Refrigerate Kyurem-B, Refrigerate Kyurem-W and Pixilate Xerneas, Aerilate Rayquaza can be played around by switching Aegislash into it, before using Parting Shot and then switching to Xerneas, which can take Rayquaza's attacks well after its offensive stats have been lowered, and then Xerneas can threaten Rayquaza with Moonblast, heal with Recover, and possibly set up Spikes. If need be, this Mare Tranquillitatis's Imposter can also come in and steal all of Aerilate Rayquaza's offensive momentum.

: More or less walled by Cresselia and Xerneas, in the latter case especially if Mega Garchomp has its offensive stats lowered by Aegislash's Parting Shot, but be very careful of Sacred Fire burns though. Blissey can also revenge-kill Mega Garchomp if necessary.

: Most Poison Heal Kyogre utilize Spore rather than Dark Void like Mare Tranquillitatis's Kyogre does, and as such they are walled by Cresselia. Dark Void-using Poison Heal Kyogre, however, are far more difficult to deal with, but can still be played around using Aegislash's Prankster support moves. Also, Mare Tranquillitatis's Kyogre will sometimes find itself engaging in a "Quiver Dance war" with an opposing Poison Heal Kyogre. Because such wars are almost always decided by who's Kyogre manages to a land a critical hit on the other Kyogre first, one should generally avoid trying to win them unless one is in a situation in which there is absolutely no other possible course of action which can bring a higher probability of victory, since Mare Tranquillitatis generally has better ways of winning than to rely on a 50% chance. If worst comes to worst, with both of this team's Poison Heal Kyogre's checks taken out and this team's own Poison Heal Kyogre defeated in a Quiver Dance war, one can, as a last resort, rely on trying to KO the opponent's Kyogre with a lucky critical hit Moonblast using this team's Blissey.

Also, one strategy to beat Quiver Dance Poison Heal Kyogre that know Dark Void is to try to trick it into wasting all of its Water Spout PPs, at which point it can be easily counter by Cresselia, despite Dark Void.

As for Prankster Kyogre, it can be incredibly disruptive towards the sweeping attempts of Mare Tranquillitatis's Kyogre, but despite being incredibly difficult due to the Sea Basin Pokémon's incredible special bulk combined with its resistance to Water Spout, it can ultimately still be played around with Dark Void combined with the entry hazards of Ho-Oh and Xerneas.

Finally, Regenerator Kyogre are rarely a problem for this team, and can generally be walled by Cresselia and Xerneas and also outright destroyed by this team's Poison Heal Kyogre.

: Magic Bounce Mega Venusaur may be the single most annoying defensive threat against Mare Tranquillitatis, due to its ability to completely and utterly wall this team's primary sweeper, Kyogre, as well as putting a complete full-stop to anything this team's Xerneas may attempt to do. Fortunately though, the Seed Pokémon is completely ripped apart by Ho-Oh.

Prankster Mega Venusaur can also be similarly troublesome, though at least Kyogre actually has a chance of playing around them, as they can actually be put to sleep by a well-timed Dark Void.

: A highly dangerous Pokémon due to its ability to threaten Aegislash with Fire-type moves while doing the same to the rest of the team with its incredibly powerful Aerilate Boomburst. Generally, the way by which Mare Tranquillitatis beats this Pokémon is through a combination of Stealth Rock and Blissey.

Last edited by Immanent God LANCE on Tue 29 Sep - 8:16; edited 6 times in total

Administrator

Post by Lord Itachi on Sun 17 Aug - 10:16

Awesome RMT Lance.I dont know what to say,just superb.Before ,you named the team on SUN now its MOON,so cool.
    About the rate 11/10.

"Every human being relies on and is bounded by his knowledge and experience to live. This is what we call “reality”. However, knowledge and experience are ambiguous, thus reality can become illusion. Is it not possible to think that, all human beings are living in their assumptions?" We all live inside our own fantasies. One's reality might be an other's illusion.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Immanent God LANCE
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 17 Aug - 10:18

Thanks, Rocky Smile

Administrator

Post by Red on Sun 17 Aug - 11:56

First of all, awesome RMT as always. Very Happy
    To be honest, i didn't read the whole RMT. I just took a look at the sets and thier discription. No one can even think of these sets.
    Lance, your imagination is just too high. I haven't played this tier yet but, i can say that, it's an amazing team.
    Congratulation on your peak. Smile

Clan Leader

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 17 Aug - 12:25

Thanks, Red Smile

Former Member

Post by Megaqwer on Sun 8 May - 8:27

Awesome rmt, hope that you post all of them on smogon too!Cause I need more ppl to see your writing quality
    Immanent God LANCE
    Clan Leader
    Clan Leader

Post by Immanent God LANCE on Sun 8 May - 11:06

Thank you very much Smile This particular RMT is on Smogon, actually.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 22 Oct - 9:05